VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Thoughts on MK8?

61K views 196 replies 100 participants last post by  Blue Golfer 
#1 ·
#182 ·
After reading and looking at European videos of the Mk8 and all the complaints about the digital dash, steering wheel buttons and all the penny pinching Volkswagen has done I traded my 2016 GTI (trouble free) in on a 2021 GTI Autobahn DSG in Cornflower and glad I did as I would not have been happy with the changes and apparent lack of acceleration despite having 241 horsepower. Our 2019 GLI has had 5 or 6 minor recalls but has no hydraulic hood strut, no height adjustment or lumbar controls on the passenger seat. More glitz and less quality, sad to see VW shooting themselves in the foot with this cheapness after all the years of praise for fit and finish...

#13 · (Edited)
OK - Who wants a Mk8 Golf?

Just when you thought that too much mk7 simply isn't anywhere nearly enough, VW comes out with their mk8 Golf - Design at this time!!

See here .

#15 ·
jesus, i feel like i just bought an iPhone, not a car.

#20 ·
Front end is extremely ugly IMO, but the rear looks good. 10 speed DSG would leave the car constantly be searching for the right gear, no thanks.

#24 ·
Surprised they'd reveal it so soon with the mk7 still selling like hot cakes. Styling and lights always seems very similar to the previous gen Audi, and I don't necessarily like where Audi is going.

I think this will be like the mk5 to mk6 change. Still pretty much the same platform. Little revisions, maybe some interior changes (hard to improve on the mk7 so probably just more tech. Still happy with mine :)

(Spellcheck prefers hoecakes to hot cakes...)

#28 ·
10 speed dsg? no thanks, id take a 6 speed, heck 5 speed mk7 gti over a 10 speed anyday of the week. 8 speed is too much too!!

I don't care about MPG etc. I rather care to have a transmission that isn't like rich girls picking out shoes.

#32 ·
German car magazine AutoBild on the Golf Mk8 GTI

http://www.autobild.de/artikel/golf-viii-gti-2017-technik-ausblick-5780536.html

In short for those that do not speak German:

The Mk8 GTI will be an evolution in design again, same length, a bit lower & wider.
European versions will feature a turbocharged 4-cylinder with around 300hp and US may get a VR6 with similar output.
Possible addition of a hybrid (75 hp in addition to the 4-cylinder).

Golf R will get hybrid on rear axle which will act as AWD and replace current Haldex system.

All speculation, but AutoBild (sort of the German car & driver) is usually well informed.

My comment: I don't want a VR6 in my GTI. That just drives up fuel consumption for no reason.

#34 ·
We are years out from MK8 so this needs to stop.
This. Nobody knows anything about the iPhone 9s+ and how it will be integrated into your eye socket :)banghead:) simply because it doesn't exist yet. We are years away from these products, ones that haven't even been designed or prototyped yet.

Articles like this are click-bait, plain and simple and do nothing but spread rumors and get hopes up for a couple of pennies per click of revenue.

#35 · (Edited)
AutoBild (and Auto Motor& Sport, the other magazine) usually only come out with such stuff if it is backed up by "unnamed high-ranking sources" at the manufacturer. And their info and drawings are usually drop-dead-spot-on when it comes to future German cars (I read those magazines for 30+ years now). So, I would not throw this info into the garbage can completely. Also, you need to consider that the Mk7 is an "old" car in Europe where it is on sale since 2012. So an MK8 in 2018 is actually due (... then +4 years delay until it hits the shores here in the US end:sarcasm)

#36 ·
Interesting that they added "Golf" to the back instead of just having the GTI by itself. I dont like it.

#38 ·
I wouldn't be at all butt hurt about owning a '15 IF that's what's coming next.. I'll keep my LED fogs too :p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.