VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, it's official: the new A3 exists and IMO, looks like a great car. I'm of the opinion that this vehicle will steal away a fair number of Jetta GLI and Jetta GLX sales. I've already decided that I will be making the switch next year, assuming that the word is true and the new A3 comes over here Stateside.
What are others' opinions on the new A3 and its implications?

·
Registered
6,048 Posts
Re: Thoughts on the new A3 (Travis Grundke)

If it's only going to be the 4-Door model that is a real disappointment. The chances of an S3 don't look too good for us here in the USA.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Re: Thoughts on the new A3 (uv23)

I suppose the design will grow on me a bit. It is nice and clean overall however.
I am interested to see what Audi means by "sportbreak". I like ideas of the Toyota Matrix and Pontic Vibe, I wonder if this is what Audi is after. I think the A4 Avant is one of the most beautiful cars in the world (with the right size wheels), an A3 Avant could be very nice. This would almost have to be a different model I'd think-lengthening the car to make it more of a wagon. I too though hope we get the 2-door model as well.
I await the 2.0T as well. The tuning possibilities and overall fun of turbos is too much to do without.
Anyone have thoughts about the 3.2 being the engine in either S model? I've heard that it's too expensive to strengthen internally to handle 280hp or so-I imagine the same would have to apply to a twin turbo application. Anyone heard of a 3.6L six cylinder in the works? Or maybe a 2.9TT or 3.1TT for the RS using current engines.

·
Registered
2002 Audi TT Quatttro ALMS
800 Posts
Re: Thoughts on the new A3 (Travis Grundke)

The next car is going to be my wife's. I showed her the pictures and she loves it. We actually hope it is available in a 4-door. We already have the kick-ass coupe.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Re: Thoughts on the new A3 (VenomSLC)

Since I can't afford the 20AE GTI this year, maybe the new A3 will do next year.

I like it. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif Hopefully, it will make it here soon.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Re: Thoughts on the new A3 (GTIfreak)

I think they completely ruined the elegance of the car, only a little bit of the former car's beauty remains. On the upside the interior looks great (hmm, no problem pulling that from the A4.) They better put a turbo motor standard in the US cars.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Re: Thoughts on the new A3 (mr_e1974)

quote:[HR][/HR]If it's only going to be the 4-Door model that is a real disappointment. [HR][/HR]​
I agree, especially since we have the R32 already here. Granted the R32 is not built on the new Golf platform like the NEW A3, but the new A3's headlight clusters still remind me too of those on the current HYUNDAI ELECTRA...LOL!

·
Banned
6,488 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]My thoughts: if its a 4-door, its a waste of sheetmetal. Either give us the 2 door or don't waste our time.[HR][/HR]​
I would only want the more sporty 4 or 5 door. Two doors always look like a proper 4 door with 2 doors deleted-too much design compromise for me.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Re: Thoughts on the new A3 (aliengti)

quote:[HR][/HR]Why cant americans have a 2 door 4wd hatchback?
[HR][/HR]​
A 2-door A3 quattro, whether it's regular quattro or allroad quattro, sure would be nice to have. I'm having flashbacks to the Lancia Delta HF Integrale, even though that one was a 4-door.
Escher

·
Registered
454 Posts
Re: Thoughts on the new A3 (Escher)

quote:[HR][/HR]whether it's regular quattro or allroad quattro[HR][/HR]​
Ummm...before you get flamed by the others...FYI, there's no "regular quattro" or "allroad quattro"...there's just "quattro", which refers to Audi's quattro branded products, including Audi's all wheel drive system whether it be the Torsen or Haldex system...the latter system is what would be used by the A3.

·
Banned
6,488 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]My thoughts: if its a 4-door, its a waste of sheetmetal. Either give us the 2 door or don't waste our time.[HR][/HR]​
Ah, come on, adults like nice cars too. I want the 4dr (5 dr, actually). It not only looks better, but is easier to live with everyday (no long doors, no long reach for the belts).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.