VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 209 Posts

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
EDIT: Since I am a bit lazy, and uploading photos here takes me time and effort, I have put most of the day to day updates on this project onto a facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/BuildingMahCorrado

So Corrado newbie here, got my hands on a pretty straight 92 SLC shell a few months ago, and have been collecting parts while I got ready to bring her back from the dead. Finally got started yesterday and decided I may as well start a build thread for the project. Had to haul the car out to the shop before we could get started, this is a reasonable look at the shape the car is in.

I am going to tear the car all the way down to prep for paint, have to tear off the terrible maaco paint job someone in its past gave it, then I am pretty sure I am going to repaint in laguna seca blue. I have a few goodies waiting to go in, like this little thing...

Overall, I am not going to do anything outrageous, but I am going to switch to an OBD1 mk3 wiring harness, and the mk3 ABS, just little things to try and make the car a bit more reliable.

Yesterday I started pulling windows out of the car, and have a new dislike for the quarter windows. Managed to get one of them out along with the hatch glass, all in good shape, it just took more time than I would have liked for that blasted quarter glass.

So I'll keep updating this as I progress, if only so I have a nice central location to track my own progress from.

And just for a little extra shiny, here are some of my other VWs, past and present.

Wifey's Mk5:

My 95 Jetta that is providing much of the materials and parts for this rebuild:

And the last car that I rebuilt, my old 86 golf. This one was on the road for all of 6 months before it got totaled by some dude in a pickup, so hopefully the Corrado has better luck...

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
Welcome! Please keep that color, I love it :thumbup:

Actually, I like Laguna much better! Paint that thing laguna :laugh:

·
Forum Elder
14,567 Posts
Welcome. Thread title made me lol.

Might as well go OBDII, it's not much more work.

Anything special inside the long block?

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome. Thread title made me lol.

Might as well go OBDII, it's not much more work.

Anything special inside the long block?
I may do the OBDII later on, but for now, its what I have in my possession, and the particular harness in question has been reliable for 9 years now. I'm more interested in removing the factory fire hazard (harness) than adding functionality.

Long block is all stock, biggest thing is its fresh and doesnt have 200k+ miles on it. I have a set of cams that will go in it, but thats about it for now.

·
Forum Elder
14,567 Posts
:thumbup::thumbup:

Hmm, twenty two years of Corrado ownership and I wasn't aware of the harness being a fire hazard. What's different about the Mk3 VR harness that makes it better?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Maybe I'm just out of the loop but I do believe that you have a Corrado spoiler on your Jetta:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
:thumbup::thumbup:

Hmm, twenty two years of Corrado ownership and I wasn't aware of the harness being a fire hazard. What's different about the Mk3 VR harness that makes it better?
That's just me hamming it up with the whole 'corrados are unreliable fire traps'. In this case the primary advantage is that I have it. The car was parted pretty hard before the last owner got it and the majority of the engine bay harness is gone. I figure since I am going to a coilpack VR anyway, I may as well swap the rest of the harness in from the mk3. Except all the things that I need the corrado harness for in the interior of the car... It's gunna be a bit of a hybrid all things considered. :D

·
Registered
6,862 Posts
Consider wiring it up with a Passat Harness, and you wont hate wiring this car as much. Passats are more close to the Corrado Version had there been an OBD2 It would have shared that harness as well.

Anyway, keep the Bordeaux pearl effect, great and kinda rare color.

Welcome to the Forum. :thumbup:

·
Registered
10,028 Posts
Consider wiring it up with a Passat Harness, and you wont hate wiring this car as much.
This ^ :thumbup: (or a Corrado harness). The mk3 harness is a pain to put in the Corrado as it has everything in the one harness whereas the Corrado has separate harnesses for the motor and lighting (as do the Passat and mk2). If you're going to cut up a mk3 harness to put in a Corrado it might as well be an ODBII one ;)

Good luck with the project and welcome :beer:

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Progress!

Alrighty. It wasn't fun, but all the glass is out of the car now. Passenger door has been torn down, disassembled and removed, now on to the rest of the car.

There have been a few comments about keeping the color that is currently on the car, and I figured I would address that. It is not the original color, the car was repainted, quite poorly at some point in the past. Here is the factory color tag in the engine bay.

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
I wonder what color that is. It's definitely not Dark Burgundy Pearl. Looks like my LE3P. I vote you change it so I can be the only one! :p

Keep up the good Werk! :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
hang on a second.... am I spotting a non sunroof car?
Ding ding! I was really stoked to find a non-sunroof car, since my 6 foot 9 self needs all the vertical room I can get in cars.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Here goes another build thread that'll peter out in a couple months when the OP gets bored. :p I'm just playing Ben, thread is bookmarked, excited to see the outcome.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Here goes another build thread that'll peter out in a couple months when the OP gets bored. :p I'm just playing Ben, thread is bookmarked, excited to see the outcome.
Hah! I'll be done in a couple months. I hope. :D

1 - 20 of 209 Posts