VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I cleaned my throttle body. I'm idling much better now and I seem to have a bit more pull when I'm taking off. I think I will probably need a new throttle body before the end of the summer. I heard someplace that you can throw a mustang throttle body on a VR6 but it would be a standalone. What exactly does that encompass and is it fact or fiction?
I also spent a good part of last nite and most of today trying to get my crank pully off
so I can put on my underdrives. The bolt would not budge. I've used a breaker bar, a breaker bar with a pipe on the end for more leverage, one of those impact hammer things, and an impact wrench and the bolt still will not move. Any suggestions?

Modified by SGT Tom at 4:53 AM 5-23-2004

·
Registered
24,143 Posts
Re: Throttle body and pulleys (SGT Tom)

A couple of things...
Quote, originally posted by SGT Tom »
... I think I will probably need a new throttle body before the end of the summer.

Why?
Quote »
I also spent a good part of last nite and most of today trying to get my crank pully off
so I can put on my underdrives. The bolt would not budge. I've used a breaker bar, a breaker bar with a pipe on the end for more leverage, one of those impact hammer things, and an impact wrench and the bolt still will not move. Any suggestions?

Are you sure you need to remove the crank gear? Most of the underdrive pulleys I've seen replace just the pulley. There should be 4 allen bolts holding the pulley to the crank gear. You shouldn't have to remove the crank pulley bolt that I'm aware of.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
1. my throttle body is giving me problems. If I am going to replace it, it wouldn't be a bad idea to replace it with something bigger (and possibly cheaper) if it is feasable.
2. It's a 98 VR6. The 3 pulleys I need to swap are the alternator, power steering pump and crank pulleys. The power steering pump has 3 6mm hex bolts and the crank pulley has one 27mm bolt.
Swapping pulleys shouldn't take me anymore than an hour or two tops. So far I am highly frustrated at this 27mm bolt that does not wish to come off.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts