VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, here's what just happened. It's raining moderately here in NYC, and I was driving home in rush hour traffic. Basically bumper to bumper for about 15 miles.
So I notice about 4 miles into it that when I drop into neutral, my car is revving on its own from 800-1100 rpm. Not violently, but just a constant bobbing up and down.
I free rev it once to 3000, and it just drops back and continues. I continue to drive in the traffic, and it keeps doing it; every time in neutral, vrum, vrum, vrum.
Then the traffic lightens a bit, and I drive about 1/2 mile continuously at about 25mph in 2nd gear. After that, the bumper to bumper resumes, but now the self-revving has gone away. Idle is steady at 900 (normal for my car).
I suspected MAF, and popped the hood at home, but the air filter is still in place, no water anywhere on the engine bay. So I'm basically stumped. It's not a big concern since the problem went away, but I'd sure like to know why this happened. Any input is always appreciated, thanks for reading.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Re: Throttle has a mind of its own? Any advice? (iamdoingthat)

I had this problem when my ac switch went bad. If I pushed in the ac swtich but still had the controls on zero it would stop. The idle would just jump constanly as the ac would kick on and off. I believe that I replaced the replay for it but i don't remember exactly.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Throttle has a mind of its own? Any advice? (VDUBGLX)

That is very very strange. However, now that I think of it, I had my A/C on while this was happening (to defrost) so I'm thinking that wasn't it?
Thanks for the reply, anyone else have ideas?

·
Registered
15,575 Posts
Re: Throttle has a mind of its own? Any advice? (iamdoingthat)

Well, the idle is programmed to raise when the AC is turned on, and then as you drive the compressor kicks on and off..your compressor may be strugglin' so it is slipping on and off....could make the idle get a bit odd....and +100 RPM is the idle when the AC is on......

Sean

1 - 4 of 4 Posts