VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i only turned the one side of it (the visible one), i made it short 2-3 cm, and then fined tune the gas cable. The car seems to alot quicker when acelerating 2000 rpm it has alot more boom, but up high Rpm's it seems to be a little week, i can't figure it out??? shouldn't the upper rpm's be the same or better????
Can i damage something if i turn it even more??

[Modified by vedder, 12:24 AM 4-12-2002]

·
Registered
6,007 Posts
Re: Throttle Mod... i Did it...! (vedder)

Dont go pass 6 turns. watch as you open the throttle as the by pass closes
the secondary should start to open as the bypass valve closes completely.
with a big boost and a bigger motor you can dial the full boost to come in later
in the pedal.

good luck!!
p.s.
hows life in Portugal?

[Modified by REPOMAN, 8:51 PM 4-11-2002]

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Throttle Mod... i Did it...! (REPOMAN)

OOHHH..... ok ! I',m sure i didn't pass the 6 turns. but the car is still week in the high end...
Here, life is fine. Next month me and a fellow Rado rider gonna start to make the 1º Corrado club here in Portugal... stay tuned .

·
Registered
11,641 Posts

Make sure your throttle plates are still opening up all the way at full throttle. Take the boost tube off and look.
If you made the arm too short, it could be preventing the plates from opening all the way up.
-Nate

·
Registered
980 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]Well i only turned the one side of it (the visible one), i made it short 2-3 cm, and then fined tune the gas cable. The car seems to alot quicker when acelerating 2000 rpm it has alot more boom, but up high Rpm's it seems to be a little week, i can't figure it out??? shouldn't the upper rpm's be the same or better????
Can i damage something if i turn it even more??

[Modified by vedder, 12:24 AM 4-12-2002][HR][/HR]​
vedder!!! can you explain what you did if you can ?? id like to do the same mod

thanks alot

·
Registered
11,641 Posts
Re: Throttle Mod... i Did it...! (Wonderwop)

Do a search. There have been a couple good TB threads recently.
What he's talking about is shortening the arm that connects the main throttle shaft to the boost return butterfly shaft. Doing this allows the boost to get higher at smaller throttle pedal inputs. This does *not* give you more boost or change your max power at full throttle. All it does is give you more power at lower pedal travels.
-Nate

·
Registered
1,155 Posts

E PA...... VIVA PORTUGAL !!!

eu vivo aqui na america, mas vou a portugal aquase todos os anos.
eu tehno ai colegas com bom g60 polos
um clube de vw em portugal e que era fixe!

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Throttle Mod... i Did it...! (N_TENSETUNING)

Ainda bem...! que ha portugueses em todo lado...!!!!!

When you came here again, send me an e-mail maybe we could meet, and have some fine VW Corrado talks.
Back to this....
The throttle flaps are correct i checked again... but the car is still week in the high end (not as strong as before), i was thinking " cus the larger flaps open sooner, could the charger not inflate ( pressurise) the tubes so much, and not have the that "boom" , since the car feels faster off the line" ???? maybe not that bad.

[Modified by vedder, 8:09 PM 4-12-2002]

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Hey listen to this....last night i went to the highway to push the car hard on the upper rev's and guess ....??? seems like the knock sensor is acting like at 5000 rpm's but only at WOT ,if i let the pedal back just a few cm's it's okay, wtf...??? is hapening , the car just came back from the dealer cus it had a bad prob with O2 probe and it was a 4 wire new one; they tune it up and checked the CO. coud it be the timing??? help me.

[Modified by vedder, 12:38 PM 4-13-2002]

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: Throttle Mod... i Did it...! (REPOMAN)

The car is spending alot of gas ... i though of that also....

the octane is 98 ron and the fuel filter is about 10 months old, about the fuel cleaner... i ran 1 full tank of it about 2 weeks ago... could the knock sensor be bad??? (i dont think so).. ???? what the resistance of it...?

[Modified by vedder, 4:45 AM 4-14-2002]

·
Registered
834 Posts

Ok...how are you guys adjusting the arm? I popped the visible end off of the ball, but I can't thread in the connector. I tried getting in there with needle nose pliers...but there's not enough room to thread it in. And yes, I did remove the intake tube from the throttle body.
Any tips?

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: Throttle Mod... i Did it...! (chitownG60)

ok... i'm on the case too, cus that mod was done by Superchips when i put on their power kit on my Polo G40, back in 98'. so i call the owner whom i sell the car to... and they did turn both sides, wich i think it makes the mod more agressive... well that depends how much do you turn it.but on my car i only turn the visible side , i thought that the nut on the arm would be hard to turn but i was wrong, it turnd by hand, after i give it a shot of WD-40. Be aware that to much turns make too much boost without proper fuel quantity... very bad....
you can check if the butterflies are closing and opening properly.... thats very important. Now the good stuff, At the same time i mess with the ISV turn screw, and screwit further about 4 turns, (cant remeber wich allen size fits there), and that with the throttle mod did wonders... but to make sure i wasnt leaning out the mixture , set the Potenciometer to 500 OHM's... since the Potenciometer only works until 30% throttle and the rest is up to the ECU , the timing is stock (6º) and since i have a 72 mm pulley... and 944 fpr ,I think it will be okay!!!!

[Modified by vedder, 12:29 AM 4-15-2002]

·
Registered
11,641 Posts
Re: Throttle Mod... i Did it...! (chitownG60)

quote:[HR][/HR]Ok...how are you guys adjusting the arm? I popped the visible end off of the ball, but I can't thread in the connector. [HR][/HR]​
There's a locknut threaded on to the arm behind the connector - the nut is threaded down tight against the connector to keep it from coming loose. You *shouldn't* be able to just grab the nylon connector and turn it - you should have to loosein the nut first - back if off several turns - then, turn in the nylon connector, then spin the nut back up tight against the back of the connecttor.
-Nate

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Re: Throttle Mod... i Did it...! (SaabFan)

quote:[HR][/HR]ok ! I',m sure i didn't pass the 6 turns. but the car is still week in the high end... [HR][/HR]​
Chances are, you didn't lose any power up top. The reason it felt "weaker" up top was probably because you were used to feeling the boost peak up there. Now, however, the boost is peaking earlier and staying constant...so you won't feel the pull of the boost building up top like you used to *before* the linkage was modified. Like Nate said, no power was gained or lost. Rather, it was moved around, so now your boost peaks earlier in the powerband.
As far as the process for modding the linkage goes...it is easiest to do *with the TB removed!* I have never even attempted to get in there with the TB still on the car. It's just way too tight. Don't go beyond 6 full turns (OR 3 turns on each side), of the boost return butterfly may not seal properly. You can pop the linkage off with needle nose pliers, then loosen the small retaining nut (7mm?) and you can then move the plastic rod ends the desired amount. Re-tighten the retaining nut, and you're done. It might be wise to also *MEASURE* the length (or number of exposed threads) of the rod *BEFORE* modifying it. That way you can always return it back to the stock length to troubleshoot, or if you aren't happy with the mod.
As far as your problem, VEDDER...it may just be too much air and not enough fuel at xxx rpm. This is BAD. Leaning out will kill your pistons in short order. Make sure you take care of the problem ASAP, in case this has something to do with it. Hopefully, it's something minor.
Good luck!

·
Registered
834 Posts
Re: Throttle Mod... i Did it...! (SaabFan)

OK...that's how I thought it worked. I just couldn't get to the locking nut to save my life....just not enough room in there. I'll try removing the throttle body next weekend.
Nate...any word on the ported throttle body?

·
Registered
1,084 Posts

I did this mod a month or so ago when I installed the phenolic insulator (from the infamous GB that had been going on). Since I had some time to play with the TB while it was off I made the bypass butterfly open as much as I could get it without limiting my WOT (the linkage would only let it go so far). Anyway, don't know what it is, but I am getting a lot of hesitation at certain throttle positions. I was trying to race an Eclipse the other day, downshifted and floored it and the my car didn't move. When I let back on the throttle a bit I gained a little speeed but not like I should. Am I running lean? I need to get my A/F guage in!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.