VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I ordered a Thule Rack (#444, not the Votex one) online and installed it, and now I'm convinced they sent the wrong kit. The rubber-padded feet don't sit flat on the roof - they make contact on the edge that's closest to the door, but the edge that is closest to the center of the car is a good 3 mm from the roof. Is this normal? Can anyone post any close-up pics of their Thule rack feet? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
14,333 Posts
Re: Thule Rack Fit Questions (pcm1978)

try to "squeeze" the towwers together on the top
then tighten the screw
I assure you that you have the correct rack
if you are still concerened, bring it by wentworth some night, and I'll check it for ya http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Re: Thule Rack Fit Questions (VReihenmotor6)

You have to kind of angle them before you put it on, and try to press them down when it is on there. They should start to sit flush as you tighten down the screw though, mine fits fine.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Thule Rack Fit Questions (VR6 Mk3)

Thanks guys, I'll try again. I just didn't want to over-tighten everything and buckle my roof or something stupid. I'm also checking with Thule, just to make sure that the idiots that sold me the thing didn't give me the wrong pads or clips or something.

·
Registered
4,266 Posts

It's pretty normal. Once you load the rack up or tighten it more they should touch the paint.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts

Quote, originally posted by pcm1978 »
Thanks guys, I'll try again. I just didn't want to over-tighten everything and buckle my roof or something stupid.

I usually crank mine down pretty hard, and I've never noticed any marks on my roof at all.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
i had mine for 3 years... i take it off every year but this year when i trew it on i had a nice gap on the rubber.... but as the days go by i just tighen it up and it shuts... dont sweat it buddy..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts