VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took it to the dealer ship a few months back for a oil change and everything was fine.

I decided to instal oil gauges with a sandwich plate and used rotella 5w-40. Now I have a louder ticking noise at idle between 800-1500rpm compared to the normal ticking.

I’ve searched but can’t find a resolution. So I’m hoping someone can help me diagnose the issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah where should I start? It sound like it’s coming from the passenger top side of the engine. Only thing new on that side is the camshaft position sensor.

Being that it stops at 1500 rpm I don’t think it’s valves or the brand of oil.

Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
209 Posts
Exactly what year, model and mileage is this vehicle? Is it a Gas or Diesel engine? My understanding is that you switched from the "normal" oil used at the dealership (ex: Castrol VW-spec 5W-30 or 5W-40) to Shell Rotella 5W-40. Is that correct? . . . Did your Rotella bottles or gallon containers state that it meets the official VW certification for your engine?

I hate to waste oil, but you might want to drain the Rotella and refill the vehicle with a proper VW spec oil. It is relatively low cost (compared to engine damage), and you will know very quickly if that is the source of the louder ticking engine noise.

My understanding is that Shell Rotella T6 5W-40 is really formulated for diesel engines. But I cannot find where it is rated to meet any official VW specs, for either Gas (VW 500 / 501 / 502) or Diesel (VW 505 00 / 505 01). Here are a few links with details of Shell Rotella:

·
Banned
23,663 Posts
Could be an injector. Could be a lifter. Could be a valve.

I'm not a fan of Rotella.

Motul only here. 250k miles at 500hp and 9000rpm. Oil tests show amazing results.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Banned
23,663 Posts
In my mk7 R I run 4L specific 10w40, 1L Xclean 5w40, because Texas heat.

In my 2019 Q7 I run specfic 5w30 because warranty.

In my 1.8t I run 300v Competition Le Mans Endurance 20w60. In other 1.8t's I run 10w40 xclean.

I send my oil to Blackstone.

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
@ Vegeta GTI. What part of Texas?

I run M1 5w30 in everything I’ve got over Mississippi because we never know the weather. Generally it’s warm but an occasional freeze 2x a year. Toyota filters on the Tacoma and GX. K&N on the Yukon and Jetta but the bigger Passat filter. Tacoma took a few changes to clear up from dino a few years back and 3000 miles per change on the 1.8t. No issues yet on any of them. Locally there isn’t a big oil selection at all. Never sent samples anywhere but I do let it settle in the drain pan for a few hours before moving to jugs. Then inspect what has settled out. I’ve always done that since ATV grease monkeying in high school.

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
Central.

Y’all got some of that a month ago then. My brother lives in Austin and came over just after it melted in his new Atlas. Nice ride but way too many bells and whistles for me.

·
Banned
23,663 Posts
We have a fully loaded Q7, I didn't think I'd be so impressed with an suv like I have been with that(minus the v10 tdi t-reg). Out pulls an f150, better mpg, more comfy, more tech more fun. It's been too the Tetons, Teton, Rockies, the Sierrs Madre, and the Appalachian in less than 2 years and it just kicks ass.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.