VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
1,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i know this is an old topic but i need some answers and advice.

I ordered a tierod flip kit in hopes it would give me a tad more clearance and better lower suspension geometry. Havent installed it yet because...

NOW...

I have my frame notched and im afraid that if i DONT flip my tierods my frame rails coming down on my tierods over one good bump. (before my axle would kinda prevent that.) :banghead:

Any advice. I really dont wanna wait another 3 weeks to get it to the guy who did my frame notch for tierod notches. Will my tierods be crushed?

Im not on air but i daily this height...

edit: i should mention im NOT at this height right now. my RMs decided to act up so i have steelies up front. and am much higher

· Registered
14,525 Posts
and you are going to want to run some balljoint extender with the rod flip kit. you gonna hate life with just flipped rods if you cheap out.

· Banned
11,598 Posts
ahhh right, you'll regain the normal distance between the tie rod and control arm by doing both. Gotcha. Thanks for spelling that out for me!
A friend of mine did the tie rode flip on his gf's passat and he said he didn't notice anything.
He did tell me to be careful though because after he flipped the tie rod it started to dig into the barrel of the wheel. So before you drill it out, you might wanna unbolt it and flip it over to make sure you are going to clear the wheel first, thats why mine is still sitting in my closet.

· Registered
1,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Google search PMW Ltd. They make some.

The lower the control arm to better the geometry and reduce the massive amount of bumpsteer you will get by just having the flip kit.
okay so if i just flip them wouldnt it be huge improvemnet to what i had reguardless? the way i see it the binding of my tierod was terrible before. it seems like itd be a huge improvement without the balljoint extenders. cause im not trying to spend 250 on something that SLIGHTLY improves the geometry of everything.

· Registered
10,454 Posts
It more than just slightly improves. Anthony, Afazz, said his car was a real pain to drive with just the flip. Will just the flip help you situation, probably. Will it be safe and okay for driving, I can't say. I only know it is recommended by many places to do both the flip and the extenders at the same time. And personally, I'd want to do it right the first time.

· Registered
1,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
you guys crack me up.
hey OP, JUST RAISE IT A FEW THREADS UNTIL YOU GET THE TIE ROD NOTCHES DONE.
hello? doesn't that make sense?
jesus christ it's not rocket science.
haha its not rocket science. im on 4x4 status right now and i intend to leave it that way until i sort out all this. i was just seeing whos done this before, cause i havent. :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.