VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Tighten up em shifts

20K views 36 replies 16 participants last post by  MÄDDNESSS 
#1 · (Edited)
I have a mk4 gti with verdict motorsports and 42 dd bushings. I would still like to tighten up the slop in the knob. I feel my next step would be to upgrade the spring that lets you drop into reverse. I think this is the culprit to the slop. So my question is has anyone tried to upgrade this spring? Any comments or advice would be cool.

Update edit:

It was brought to my attention that this slop is due to the following bushing. Info came from another post

This was stumbled upon by another Vortexer in upgrading their endlink bushings. This OEM piece is a significant increase in design and feel over the original bearing. As you can see here, the original part has a multitude of air gaps and has a slightly softer plastic, though the feel of the plastic may just be due to wear over time.

The new part (part # 1K0 711 699) has all of the additional air gaps filled in addition to being firmer material overall.

I thought about using some of the OEM goop lying around the shifter when reinstalling, but it appeared it was greatly contaminated with a multitude of crap. I opted for the dielectric grease I had on hand.

I will give this a solid 25% over stock, possibly even 30%. Even BEFORE installing motor mounts or dogbone bushings, the "flop" of the shifter when on and off the throttle in 6th gear has completely disappeared. Shifting is completely firm yet smooth with very marginal, virtually non existent shaft play while in gear.

See less See more
#8 ·
Having the same issue. But I dont believe its the spring. Im thinking its the plastic bushing in the shifter base. Have not been able to find any where that sells just that with out the whole shifter assembly.

#12 ·
#25 ·
I too notice play in this area.

I have ordered 1k0 711 067 and 1k0 711 067A. I wish someone made solid billet versions of these... ...though I suppose if I replace EVERYTHING else with billet (as planned) then something has to dampen the diesel clatter!

#26 ·
I too notice play in this area.

I have ordered 1k0 711 067 and 1k0 711 067A. I wish someone made solid billet versions of these... ...though I suppose if I replace EVERYTHING else with billet (as planned) then something has to dampen the diesel clatter!
Cool, keep us posted. Yeah solid ones there would feel sooooo nice.

#29 · (Edited)

I bought this but I have no idea how to take out the old one. I tried removing the 2 torx screws that holds down the plate on top of the bushing but it doesn't come out that way it seems.

Can someone please advise me on how to take out the old bushing?
Thanks.
Put it in neutral, remove shifter boot, pop hood, disconnect both shifter cables (remove clip and slide cable ends off the pins) go back in car remove the two torx screws from reverse lockout plate, pull up on shifter assembly and pry off old bushing with a small flat head screw driver, grease new bushing then reassemble.

PS: you have to disconnect the shifter cables in the engine bay to have the wiggle room to pull the shifter assembly up and get more access to the bushing.
Sent from my ADR910L using Tapatalk 2

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.