VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
3,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know what the part is called, but I've been thinking about it.
WHat it does is make the turning ratio tighter. So instead of, let's say, 1.5 turns of the wheel to get 40 degrees, you can turn it .8 turns.
What's that called? where can i get it, and what are the perks and downfalls of it?
K

· Registered
3,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: (ianacole)

Quote, originally posted by ianacole »
TT rack is supposed to have a better turning ratio...

TT, well, would there be a signifcant difference? I'm looking for about 50% reduction. I'd guess that various OEM parts would give, at best, 15%.
K

· Registered
3,050 Posts
Re: (SlowDalPangEe)

Quote, originally posted by SlowDalPangEe »
TT, well, would there be a signifcant difference? I'm looking for about 50% reduction. I'd guess that various OEM parts would give, at best, 15%.
K

I think you'd have to do something custom; I haven't seen anything other than a TT swap. I think this is about a 33% reduction, but I'm not sure (3 turns lock-to-lock vs. 2 turns lock-to-lock for the TT rack). It might only go to 2.5 turns...
Edit: This THREAD has some information on steering rack ratios...

Modified by ianacole at 8:05 PM 9-8-2005

· Registered
3,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: (rs4-380)

Quote, originally posted by rs4-380 »
ha.

the only way to get 50% is with a steering quickener (basically is a gear set that replaces the u joint) but that much reduction will be dangerous at highway speeds.

hmm, that's very true. I thought about that, but it's hard to image how dangerous that really is seeming that's i've having a hard time imagining it
K

· Registered
3,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: (bootymac)

Quote, originally posted by bootymac »
Smaller steering wheel!

honestly, I'd change my steering wheel to a smaller racing one... if i had the following MORE mods.
REAL roll cage + roll bar and 4 pt harness.
K

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.