VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As the title states, I think it would be of great help for all Tiguan owners to know what parts are interchangeable between our cars and the Mk5/6 platform. This will be of special help for aftermarket users, since Tiguan parts are much more rare that for GTI/GLIs.

I hope all owners with experience can chime in and help in making this a good guide and reference.

I can start with what I have found out so far while building mine:

Intake systems:

All 2.0T seems to work with the Tiguan, both MAF to air inlet and turbo to MAF.
I know for a fact that Forge's Twintake and Carbonio work perfectly.

The only modification needed is the air inlet bracket, as most intake kits are designed to run on Golf/Jetta, there needs to be a bracket fabricated to ensure the oem location bolts work.

Aside from that, pretty much any TSI intake should work.

Suspension:

Springs:
Most of owners know this already: Although there are Tiguan specific springs, fitment from MK5/6 is a bolt-on. I know that Eibach pro-kit for Mk6 GTI works perfectly, both front and rear. No modifications at all.

This springs (mk5/6) can give a bit more lowering that the Tiguan specific, plus there is much more availability in the second hand market.

Struts:
Same as Mk6/5 platform. Recently i swapped my front and rear for the ones on a Leon Cupra (pq35) platform. So any mk5/6 will do. Since the excessive lowering from mk6 springs make the oem struts too compressed, swapping ones with less travel makes the ride much more comfortable. I get much more rubbing in the back now, which means more effective travel and softer ride. I recommend this on anyone with and aggressive lowering springs.

Braking system:

Front:
The Tiguan comes from factory with the same brakes than the Mk5/6 GTI/GLI. This means that there is direct fitment compatibility with aftermarket kits that are made to work with mk5/6.

I have tried Golf R / TTS / S3, which were fitted with no modifications at all. Caliper carriers and lines are identical.

This makes me almost sure that any BB kit that works with GTI/GLI, will work in the Tiguan.

This also means, that pads and lines are also 100% compatible

Rear:

Same story, same diameter disk as in GLI/GTI (286mm) if not mistaken.

Disk are interchangeable, not sure about calipers, but by looking at the pads, they seem to be identical calipers.

Caliper carriers and line placement needs to be confirmed, but I'm inclined to think fitment will be the same.

Seats:

There has been some threads with this question: will GTI seats fit the Tiguan. The answer is YES. I tried with a friends GTI, and the seat rails aligned perfectly. Also, the airbag connectors match, you just need to make sure that if seats are electric, that your Tiguan has electric seats. I am not sure on the electric seat connector, since my Tiguan has manual seats.

The only issue with GTI seats is hight. On the highest position of the GTI seats you will be at a similar hight as if you were on the OEM seats on the lowest position. So if you feel that the lowest position in the Tiguan seats is too low, then the GTI seats will probably not suit you.

See some pics for reference: (the pics were taken on the highest position on the GTI seats.)

Thats all from my side. Hope other members can contribute with their findings.

As the thread get populated i will try to organize all the info as a guide.

Best,
Daniel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
great info here! i've been meandering the Tiguan forums learning as much as I can before I get one of my very own. One day.....one day

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
as far as downpipes go, any mk5 or mk6 down pipe will work on the tig, you will just have to trip approximately 3-4 inches off the slip in flange....

That what i run on mine.

for struts, i can say that mk5 and mk6 Air suspension system bolts right up front and rear so im guessing the static coilovers will to.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
as far as downpipes go, any mk5 or mk6 down pipe will work on the tig, you will just have to trip approximately 3-4 inches off the slip in flange....

That what i run on mine.

for struts, i can say that mk5 and mk6 Air suspension system bolts right up front and rear so im guessing the static coilovers will to.
Do you have 4motion? Im curious now because i have my old APR DP from my A3. If it just needs minor adjustment I can trow it in the lift make it fit.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
sorry forgot to mention FWD only, not sure about AWD. If it wasn't such a pain in the a$$ I would pull the one off my Golf R and test fit it on my friends 4-mo tig....:banghead:

·
Registered
33 Posts
You mean the bracket? If so yeah. Also you forgot to mention the tiguan exhaust is longer than the MK5/MK6 GTIs.

So be careful because the shop I went through just did that. Their network (their friends/vendors...etc) and my research all went to the same conclusion. Any GTI DP will fit in a tiguan because it is basically a GTI...But when it was job/installation time...Well...THEY need to in-house fabricate one :p:p:p

Intercooler;

The Golf R intercooler will fit PERFECTLY (got it installed too today). The piping ends or the end that connects to the intercooler needs to be trimmed though because the Golf R intercooler is just slide it in and clamp it.

(I will write a review/new thread (with pics) about this after a week and who this shop is. Hint: Huntington Beach. Amazing workmanship!! :thumbup:.)

·
Registered
175 Posts
RFB makes an automatic headlamp retrofit kit (no rain sensor) that works perfectly on the Tiguan, at least with halogens. Plug and play with the standard Rest-of-the-world headlamp switch, no add'l wiring required.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Short Shifters

I tried installing a Diesel Geek short shift kit for the 6mt transmission, but had no luck. The Tiguan seems to have the linkage mechanisms inverted, so kits designed for Golf, etc, wont fit.
Although I have a 06A transmission (6MT + 4motion) it seems its the same configuration as the one present in the states.

Anybody knows of a company that makes SS kits for the Tiguan?

Shifter Bushings

Ordered from 42 Draft Designs. The ones for TTRS (same 0A6 transmission). Fit perfectly and makes a big improvement in the shifter feel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

·
Registered
212 Posts

That what i run on mine
I did the same on mine. I also had one other issue. I had to cut about 1" off of each side of the downpipe hanger to stop it from rubbing -- Causes a HORRIBLE noise

sorry for the crappy cell phone pic---

·
Registered
347 Posts
You mean the bracket? If so yeah. Also you forgot to mention the tiguan exhaust is longer than the MK5/MK6 GTIs.

So be careful because the shop I went through just did that. Their network (their friends/vendors...etc) and my research all went to the same conclusion. Any GTI DP will fit in a tiguan because it is basically a GTI...But when it was job/installation time...Well...THEY need to in-house fabricate one :p:p:p

Intercooler;

The Golf R intercooler will fit PERFECTLY (got it installed too today). The piping ends or the end that connects to the intercooler needs to be trimmed though because the Golf R intercooler is just slide it in and clamp it.

(I will write a review/new thread (with pics) about this after a week and who this shop is. Hint: Huntington Beach. Amazing workmanship!! :thumbup:.)
Did you ever get around to writing the review?

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The short shifter is INcompatible. Thanks ECS for letting the customer test fit your parts! :facepalm:
Yes, I tried the DG with same outcome. Since the 6mt is different from the gti. we need a short shifter that fits the TTRS

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Struts

Same as Mk6/5 platform. Recently i swapped my front and rear for the ones on a Leon Cupra (pq35) platform. So any mk5/6 will do. Since the excessive lowering from mk6 springs make the oem struts too compressed, swapping ones with less travel makes the ride much more comfortable. I get much more rubbing in the back now, which means more effective travel and softer ride. I recommend this on anyone with and aggressive lowering springs.

·
Registered
16,241 Posts
Bumping an old thread about the GTI seats...

They physically fit, but I can confirm though that the wiring is NOT the same & they're not 100% plug & play.

3 of the 4 GTI seat harnesses plugged right in, but the airbag harness connection was different & threw 4 codes in VagCom for the airbags. Some of the wiring was a little different on the harnesses too.
I didn't want to butcher up the seat harness though and bailed on the swap.

Plus you have to run the seats pumped all the way up (height wise)--which leaves the seat track/rail exposed & looks kinda tacky--or else you're sitting super low & staring at the dash.

IMG_7149 by Dan W, on Flickr

IMG_7155 by Dan W, on Flickr

IMG_7153 by Dan W, on Flickr

IMG_7154 by Dan W, on Flickr

Untitled by Dan W, on Flickr

GTI seat airbag harness on left, Tiguan seat airbag harness on right:

I thought about getting a new connector and swapping the pins in, but even those are different & would require hacking them up:

AND that's assuming the rest of the wiring is correct/works too :facepalm:

·
Registered
7 Posts

That what i run on mine.

For the air- is this true to the 2017 Tiguan also? I am thinking it should all be the same, but on bag riders they only have it listed for 2015s. Anyone with a 2016/2017 know if the struts are the same??

Thank you in advance for any help :)

1 - 20 of 39 Posts