VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
right, theres different brands - im aware of that. but where do you actually buy it in canada? ordering from US sites, the shipping kind of kills the deal.
for example, i recently found this (its new - need to verify in store):

That may be 0W20 but it does NOT meet the VW508 spec.

The best place I’ve found is the dealer, and between the 3-4 of them within 30 minute drive from me, one of them always seems to have sales on to make their price a little more palatable.

I’m in the GTA and found another place in Markham that sells Motul and another brand that meets the 508 spec, but the price is more expensive than the dealer so I don’t bother with them.

Cheers…
DoC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2022 VW Tiguan
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

The best place I’ve found is the dealer, and between the 3-4 of them within 30 minute drive from me, one of them always seems to have sales on to make their price a little more palatable.

I’m in the GTA and found another place in Markham that sells Motul and another brand that meets the 508 spec, but the price is more expensive than the dealer so I don’t bother with them.

Cheers…
DoC

hmm thanks - i guess dealer only for now.
For the canadian tire one - I still need to verify the back of the bottle for vw 508 in store. Its a brand new product.
Per Mobil, the ESP X2 0W-20 should meet VW 508.00:

·
Registered
502 Posts
That oil from Canadian Tire is the same or more expensive than dealer pricing.

The only advantage I can see is if they start selling it in 5L jugs, making it cheaper.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sorry, I was on the bald eagle internet (USA site). Just searched the .ca site and also could not find it. Its hard to find here, so maybe distribution is still getting going.

What about online retail for Ravenol or Liquimoly? Do ECS or FCPEuro ship to Canada? Blauparts?

·
Registered
2022 VW Tiguan
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sorry, I was on the bald eagle internet (USA site). Just searched the .ca site and also could not find it. Its hard to find here, so maybe distribution is still getting going.

What about online retail for Ravenol or Liquimoly? Do ECS or FCPEuro ship to Canada? Blauparts?
ECS & FCP does ship to canada but factoring in exchange rate and shipping the deal becomes more expensive than the dealer! Comes out to 112 USD for the oil service kit (oil+filters) which is more expensive than just getting the oil done at the dealer.

Hope this 0W20 vw 508 situation improves... for my previous VW car i was able to get castrol 5w40 (vw502)very easily here and for so cheap (~25$ CAD for 5L).

·
Registered
268 Posts
It will improve. When the MQB Tiguan's first came out the oil was only through the Dealership. Now it's available by many brands.
Emissions regulations is pushing this, even my neighbors Dodge Ram 3500 HD 6.4l gas takes special synthetic oil.
Napa carries the Liqumolly, they may have the correct spec oil. Probably pricey

2019 Volkswagen Tiguan 4Motion

·
Registered
2021 Tiguan SE R Line Black
115 Posts

Cheers…
DoC

It says VW508 on the back of the bottle.

·
Registered
345 Posts
It says VW508 on the back of the bottle.
Ok, I stand corrected… no problem.
Still quite a bit more expensive than at the dealer, and stock seems quite scarce at the moment.

Hopefully in time, stock will increase and drive down pricing to be more reasonable, but for now it just makes most sense to get it from the dealer.

Cheers…
DoC

·
Registered
405 Posts
for the canadians here, has anyone found a good place to the get 0w-20 oil that is certified VW 508.00?
So far seems like dealership only?
NEVER run 0w20 oil.
That is to get the best mileage, but is not at all best for the engine, especially the valve train.
The thinnest oil I would ever run if 5w30, and 10w40 is better after the first year or so.
If you are worried about over pressure, don't.
The oil pump is positive displacement, and pressure controlled entirely by the relief valve.
So the weight of the oil can not possibly effect oil pressure.
All cars running 0w20 are having premature valve train failure, like timing chains, camshafts, etc.

Nor is VW 508 a great oil. Castrol synthetic is considerably better oil and the engine will last longer. In general, you NEVER want to do to the dealer. They do not want cars to last. They want to sell new cars only. They only do the maintenance at all because they are forced to.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts