VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2021 SEL Premium RLine
663 Posts
NEVER run 0w20 oil.
That is to get the best mileage, but is not at all best for the engine, especially the valve train.
The thinnest oil I would ever run if 5w30, and 10w40 is better after the first year or so.
If you are worried about over pressure, don't.
The oil pump is positive displacement, and pressure controlled entirely by the relief valve.
So the weight of the oil can not possibly effect oil pressure.
All cars running 0w20 are having premature valve train failure, like timing chains, camshafts, etc.
Being from another platform (and new here) I tend to agree...

Do you have data to back your claim?

Bob.

EDIT: I drove Twin Turbo 3000GT's and ran 20W50 (summer, a bit less in the winter)...

·
Registered
345 Posts
NEVER run 0w20 oil.
That is to get the best mileage, but is not at all best for the engine, especially the valve train.
The thinnest oil I would ever run if 5w30, and 10w40 is better after the first year or so.
The oil pump is positive displacement, and pressure controlled entirely by the relief valve.
All cars running 0w20 are having premature valve train failure, like timing chains, camshafts, etc.
The problem with your advice is that VW will/can use the non-spec oil use to deny warranty work on the engine, particularly when both the manual and stickers under the hood give clear warning to use only the VW508 oil (which is 0w20).

Your other reasoning is spot-on, and I agree entirely. But risking a warranty denial is not worth it to me. Now… the day my warranty expires, you better believe I’ll be changing to a better oil for durability and wear resistance, protection, etc…

Forcing this 0w20 on owners by VW (by threatening warranty implications) is ridiculous. What they should say is “to maintain fuel efficiency ratings it is recommended to use the VW508 however XYZ oil is also acceptable but may reduce efficiency”. Or something to that effect. Just my opinion.

Cheers…
DoC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
345 Posts
ECS Tuning out of Ohio
UroTuning, Tampa, Florida.
They both do complete oil change kits..
Unable to find it anywhere locally, even here in Florida.
Not sure either of them are able to ship oil to Canada (the OP’s question), but even if they do there’s no way importing fees, taxes, currency, etc… will make that a reasonable option.

Cheers…
DoC

·
Registered
345 Posts
Being from another platform (and new here) I tend to agree...

Do you have data to back your claim?

Bob.

EDIT: I drove Twin Turbo 3000GT's and ran 20W50 (summer, a bit less in the winter)...
According to his profile, he’s a master mechanic and Porsche shop foreman. I’m sure his advice is sound and likely has plenty of experience to support that, notwithstanding the potential warranty issues though. ;)

DoC

·
Registered
860 Posts
NEVER run 0w20 oil.

Nor is VW 508 a great oil. Castrol synthetic is considerably better oil and the engine will last longer. In general, you NEVER want to do to the dealer. They do not want cars to last. They want to sell new cars only. They only do the maintenance at all because they are forced to.
What? VW 508 is a spec, not a type of oil. Motul, Liqui Moly, castrol, can all have VW508 spec, it's a lot about emission, and wear tests. 0-20 isn't something they just slapped a sticker on and so, do it. My 2019 Golf r has a engine sticker says 0-30, the book with eh car says 5-30 AND or 5-w40 either 502 for the 30 or 504 for the 0-40...0-20 is on the 2018 tiguan,I think is 508 spec they don't just make this stuff up, in the manual it even says if you have to top off, don't use more than 1/2 litre of non meeting spec synthetic...it's not just weight anymore. What research have you have that shows dealers only want to sell you new cars, and have your's wear out, and that 0-20 ALL have premature wear?

·
Registered
2022 VW Tiguan
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
NEVER run 0w20 oil.

Nor is VW 508 a great oil. Castrol synthetic is considerably better oil and the engine will last longer. In general, you NEVER want to do to the dealer. They do not want cars to last. They want to sell new cars only. They only do the maintenance at all because they are forced to.
New car, dont want to void warranty.
Generally i follow mfr spec for any fluids but i change it much earlier than the scheduled timeframe. Yet to ever have any problems over 15 years of owning different cars.

·
Registered
2021 Tiguan SE R Line Black
115 Posts
The problem with your advice is that VW will/can use the non-spec oil use to deny warranty work on the engine, particularly when both the manual and stickers under the hood give clear warning to use only the VW508 oil (which is 0w20).

Your other reasoning is spot-on, and I agree entirely. But risking a warranty denial is not worth it to me. Now… the day my warranty expires, you better believe I’ll be changing to a better oil for durability and wear resistance, protection, etc…

Forcing this 0w20 on owners by VW (by threatening warranty implications) is ridiculous. What they should say is “to maintain fuel efficiency ratings it is recommended to use the VW508 however XYZ oil is also acceptable but may reduce efficiency”. Or something to that effect. Just my opinion.

Cheers…
DoC

The problem is, by the time your warranty is up, you're really going to need it. I'd rather save the engine instead of Volkswagen's CAFE average, which is the only reason they're running a 0W-20 in the first place.

·
Registered
46 Posts
NEVER run 0w20 oil.

but is there is any data or personal experience to back it up? I would be happy to see more elaboration on it?
Same boat here, would be happy to switch to cheaper/better oil than original, but still need proofs.
Engineer is here, no proof no trust)

21 - 29 of 29 Posts