VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am asking for a friend who is considering a Tiguan to replace his Mazda CUV.

Two questions:

1. Do you feel the Tiguan is underpowered?

2. For those who did a new tune for the engine, what is your opinion now?

I drive a 2017 Alltrack with 105,000 miles on it. I've been very pleased. Just in case you wanted to know.

· Registered
34 Posts
The Tiguan is zippy around town, but on any highway usage, it's a bit of a dog. 0-60 you can see its a bit slow, and then it doesn't have a ton of top end.

Not tuned but based on the HP and TQ numbers, it will put the Tiguan in a great spot, 250HP and 300 TQ (uni tune)

· Registered
223 Posts
Don’t be deceived by those numbers. If you want an honest answer, the tuned Tiguan is still slow and stock is super slow. My 2019 SEL P 4Mo is APR+ stage 1. Compared to Mazda’s turbo engine it’s slower but against the non-turbo, it’s similar or better. Tiguan’s transmission lets it down and the engine sounds raspy when pushed. But let’s be clear, it’s not meant to be a fast sport SUV. It’s a comfortable family SUV with good space and gets decent MPG. Let’s not make it more than what it is.

· Registered
15 VW GTI, 22 VW Tiguan
1,989 Posts
We just switched my wife’s 2016 GSW for 2022 Tiguan and I’ve driven it on a few occasions. When it comes to power, it’s just OK, I feel it could use additional 20-30 hp, but for zipping around town and highway cruising it is OK. It’s not meant to be fast. Comparing to 1.8T we had in GSW, engine in Tiguan is slightly better (maybe a tad louder) and 8 speed slush box is also better than the 6 speed auto in GSW. Overall my wife likes it better than GSW.

· Registered
2022 Tiguan SE 4wd
49 Posts
Not a sports car but sufficiently powerful for normal purposes. The economy is great on the highway if you stay at around the speed limit. I have got better than 42mpg on 50 mile trips sitting at the speed limits of 55, 60, and 65 on cruise control. I have 9,000 miles in 6 months and am very happy with mine.

· Registered
264 Posts
We currently have a 2018 Tiguan and a 2018 Alltrack. The Tiguan in stock form is not a bad vehicle but not a stand out. The Tiguan tuned is faster than the Alltrack in stock form but like others have mentioned the slush box is the issue. If the Tiguan had the DSG that I have in my Alltrack, then we would not be having this conversation as it would be a much better vehicle. With the Stage 1 Uni tune it is nice to drive especially in sports mode. VW made a mistake with the transmission but other than that is is a nice vehicle.

· Registered
15 Posts
We have a 2022 Tiguan Highline and 2018 Alltrack. From what I've been reading, and feeling, VW changed the tuning on the transmission. The Tiguan is peppy and I dont feel any lag in response (other than slight turbo lag). The DSG is by far a better transmission, but I dont hate driving the Tiguan. I agree with others on the highway thing, it has no upper-end pickup. (Still love my Alltrack a lot more :D)

· Registered
2022 Tiguan SEL R-Line
199 Posts
Am I the only one who puts it in Sport for expressway/interstate driving, I would agree in saying overall its not a "fast" car but it definitely doesn't feel slow and gets out of its own way well enough. I have no issues in driving 70-95MPH as needed. (no tune, regular fuel)

· Registered
261 Posts
I had a 2018 Tiguan that was a total pos and traded in at 37k, that’s another story. It was painfully slow and when you hit the gas it got really loud. I just couldn’t deal with the lack of power. I traded it in for a 2020 Honda Passport, it’s quick smooth and quiet.

· Registered
223 Posts
The stock 2022 Tiguan accelerates 0-60 MPH in 8.1 sec (FWD) or 9.1 sec (AWD). Testing was from MT and C&D. Older models such as my 2019 are slightly slower due to transmission tuning. That is at best average for a mainstream SUV. OP asked if the stock Tiguan is underpowered and I and most publications will say it is. I'm guessing people who think it's acceptable are used to average or below average cars.

I can't afford to exclusively drive 'fast' cars either, but I believe all cars should be <7.5 sec in order to be acceptable. That's why I dropped $1k to tune my Tiguan immediately in order to be in that range. But to be honest, even with the tune it's still 'slow' compared to my 330i so I avoid driving it unless I need to.

· Registered
264 Posts
My 91octane Uni tuned 4motion tiguan is 7.2 seconds 0-60 and I am sure I could get that just under 7 with a few simple tweaks. That is fast enough for this vehicle. My Alltrack is 4.2 0-60 so if I want to go fast in a VW I can and still haul whatever I want. lol.

· Registered
13 Posts
As another poster has mentioned, I would call the Tiguan more zippy/quick than fast. It's good around town, from a start, getting up to 30-40mph. On the highway you can feel it kinda struggling pushing itself from 55-70 for example. Higher in the rev range (~5k) the power falls off at those speeds.

However for me, I more or less exclusively do city driving, so I would prefer a quick car as opposed to a fast car (if that makes sense).

I have a 2020 Tiguan SE R-Line. No tune.

· Registered
5 Posts
I am asking for a friend who is considering a Tiguan to replace his Mazda CUV.

Two questions:

1. Do you feel the Tiguan is underpowered?

2. For those who did a new tune for the engine, what is your opinion now?

I drive a 2017 Alltrack with 105,000 miles on it. I've been very pleased. Just in case you wanted to know.
I can only answer the first question, but my 2019 is slow and feels slow too, though there was some improvement after the TSB service for updated transmission programming. I would have said my previous 2016 Tiguan was zippy, but not this MQB one.

Comparing to a MK8 GTI, a Tiguan loses about 20% max torque and gains 600 lbs, and that math has consequences.

Your friend should test drive before he buys. It’s fine for my wife but I wouldn’t recommend one for an enthusiast.

· Registered
137 Posts
Guess I'll never understand this addiction to power. I drive my 2019 SEL with a stock "untuned" engine , if you're happy calling it that, upwords of a dozen times a year through the mountains down to LA and all over LA without a problem. You're not going to get a screamer out of a 4 banger no matter what you do to it and because of that I always get a chuckle when I read discussions about tuning this or tweaking that. Trade it in on a Porsche for god sake. (not meant for the OP).

· Registered
223 Posts
Guess I'll never understand this addiction to power. I drive my 2019 SEL with a stock "untuned" engine , if you're happy calling it that, upwords of a dozen times a year through the mountains down to LA and all over LA without a problem. You're not going to get a screamer out of a 4 banger no matter what you do to it and because of that I always get a chuckle when I read discussions about tuning this or tweaking that. Trade it in on a Porsche for god sake. (not meant for the OP).
This kind of thinking is why an underpowered Tiguan exists. VW could have made it more powerful but why bother if people like you accept mediocrity and will buy it anyway. Throw in a slow transmission to top it off. No one tuning the Tiguan wants to make it a race car but we want slightly more power because the stock car is objectively slow.

As for all 4 bangers being slow, that’s just incorrect. Check out the Atlas, GTI or Golf R using a variant of the same EA888 4 banger and they all output more with different tuning and tweaks. Or see BMW and Porsche using 4 banger turbos in both cars and SUVs that are much quicker. Want more evidence that’s not luxury? Check out Kia, Mazda, Ford or pretty much most brands have 4 banger turbos that are quicker than Tiguan. In reality, Tiguan’s 4 banger turbo compares to other brands non-turbo 4 banger found on their low end trims. Kinda sad right?

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.