VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

61 - 80 of 106 Posts

·
Banned by John until they unbanned me
9,077 Posts
Building a 9mm next. Just waiting on parts availability.
This always appeals to me just after I check the price on subsonic 300BO ammunition. I am attracted the the Palmetto State lowers cut specifically for Glock magazines.

The range limitations of 9mm don't bother me, but the reliability and durability obstacles of some builds do.

·
9,077 Posts
300BLK is only worth it if:

- You have an SBR
- You have a silencer
- You reload

I can do 220gr Sierra subs at around 50¢ a pop.
Money aside, I think a subsonic 300BO with a 16 inch barrel would be neat, but not at 50cpr. I just don't like muzzle blast. I imagine that firing any 5.56 indoors without ear pro would cause dramatic hearing loss.

9mm is dropping below 20cpr now. With a 16 inch barrel, I think it could be a good home defense item.

·
Premium Member
3,566 Posts
I recently bought a Smith & Wesson M&P-15 Sport II as a starter AR. No pictures of the rifle at the moment, but I do have my first targets. I met with an instructor to get acquainted with it, and he zeroed it for me while I shot these:

·
Registered
41,655 Posts
Money aside, I think a subsonic 300BO with a 16 inch barrel would be neat, but not at 50cpr. I just don't like muzzle blast. I imagine that firing any 5.56 indoors without ear pro would cause dramatic hearing loss.

9mm is dropping below 20cpr now. With a 16 inch barrel, I think it could be a good home defense item.

I just ordered my AR9 build. I'll post up maybe next week once I get it together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Learning New Things Every Day.
'12 Earth F**ker '12 A4q '18 Q3
17,761 Posts

I just ordered my AR9 build. I'll post up maybe next week once I get it together.
Don't forget to buy all those 33rd mags. :laugh:

I talked to a buddy of mine who's been shooting for, oh, 41 years or so- and he's only 4 years older than me- and he said while a 9mm AR is fun, he'd rather go with a .45 AR. A modern Thompson, if you will.

I need to build my ARs before I get an idea on anything else.

·
9,077 Posts
Don't forget to buy all those 33rd mags. :laugh:

I talked to a buddy of mine who's been shooting for, oh, 41 years or so- and he's only 4 years older than me- and he said while a 9mm AR is fun, he'd rather go with a .45 AR. A modern Thompson, if you will.

I need to build my ARs before I get an idea on anything else.
Out of a pistol barrel, 45acp is a much better round past 100m. 9mm beyond 100m is dropping much like a 22lr; it runs out of steam and seems to drop out of the sky like a 22lr out of a rifle. 45acp drops, but has a smoother trajectory and still has enough force for the impact to be noted.

The 9mm advantage for an AR carbine is better market support. That PSA/Glock lower keeps you from having to jerry rig magazine blocks and you don't have to dig up an old grease gun magazine.

I am intrigued by variations of the original AR design, but part of the reason someone like me can build a regular AR15 is that it is so easy that one nearly has to try to screw it up to get one that doesn't work properly. My impression of a 45acp conversion is that it may take some additional ingenuity.

·
Registered
41,655 Posts
AR9s are getting popular. I only shoot steel and paper 25-100 yards, so yoloooo. I wanted something with more umph than a 22. I ordered a 300 BO barrel too.

Edit: I have four ARs, and wanted one to shoot with my Glock 9s (43, 26, 19).

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have heard the NFA crowd prefer dual feed magazines such as Colt smg mags. Seems they feed better in an AR verses the single feed of Glock mags. Mag compatibility with the rest of your Glocks is a huge plus though.
I personally would not go pistol caliber carbine for a home defense. If I am going to pick up a rifle for defense, it better be a rifle caliber. I understand not wanting to blow your hearing out. Just go all the way and get a suppressor.

·
17,761 Posts
I have heard the NFA crowd prefer dual feed magazines such as Colt smg mags. Seems they feed better in an AR verses the single feed of Glock mags. Mag compatibility with the rest of your Glocks is a huge plus though.
I personally would not go pistol caliber carbine for a home defense. If I am going to pick up a rifle for defense, it better be a rifle caliber. I understand not wanting to blow your hearing out. Just go all the way and get a suppressor.
LOL wut?

yay spam?

·
9,077 Posts
45 is quickly falling out of vogue.
I assume that's an economic matter. 45acp has several advantages over 9mm, but 9mm arms seem to be where the design energy is.

·
Registered
2018 Atlas R-Line; 2019 330xi M-Sport
32,648 Posts
I assume that's an economic matter. 45acp has several advantages over 9mm, but 9mm arms seem to be where the design energy is.
Probably due to the FBI's study on 9mm's effectiveness... and their new weapons contact going back to 9mm (from .40). Not to mention ICE and DSS with many, many more to follow.

·
17,761 Posts
Probably due to the FBI's study on 9mm's effectiveness... and their new weapons contact going back to 9mm (from .40). Not to mention ICE and DSS with many, many more to follow.
I read (I think in TTAG) that at least one agency is going with new .40cal pistols, and not dropping to 9mm.

·
Registered
11 Posts
LOL wut?

yay spam?
What's with the mockery? I am sharing my opinion.
Rifle calibers are more effective than pistol calibers. Having a carbine in a pistol caliber negates that advantage in terminal effectiveness. To me, a rifle is harder to store ready to go, so a pistol caliber rifle has two strikes against it as a home defense weapon. I'm still a fan of them as plinkers and range toys.

·
Registered
41,655 Posts
I own five (Six) ARs. 1/4 MOA AR-15 (Noveske), lightweight AR-15 14.5" build, heavy weight 300 BO hunting 16.5", AR-10, and now the AR-9, I also have a pistol lower AR-15. As I said in the OP this is for public range plinking with my 9mm Glocks.

This is a dead horse argument, but modern 9mm loads are ballistically effective, and the higher capacity and ease of shooting, is why pretty much everyone is switching to 9mm.

9mm easily passes the FBIs penetration test.

Check out IV8888's YT videos on how far can a 9mm kill.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
Way to use an AR-15 ..... :thumbup:

Three would-be robbers were shot and killed Monday when an Oklahoma homeowner's son opened fire on them with an AR-15, authorities said.
Wagoner County sheriff's deputies were called to the home in Broken Arrow, southeast of Tulsa at around 12:30 p.m. local time. When they arrived, they found the three dead suspects and two uninjured residents.
Sheriff's spokesman Deputy Nick Mahoney said the suspects entered the home through a glass back door with the intent to burglarize it. It was not immediately clear why they picked that home.
Mahoney said the suspects encountered the homeowner's 19-year-old son, who opened fire after an exchange of words. Two of the suspects died in the home's kitchen while a third was found in the driveway.
It was not immediately clear whether the suspects were armed, but Mahoney said the preliminary investigation indicated the shootings were in self-defense. The homeowner's son volunteered to give a statement at the sheriff's office.
This is very, very unusual for us [in Wagoner County]," Mahoney told the Tulsa World. "It's not something we're used to."

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/03/27/homeowners-son-shoots-kills-three-would-be-burglars.html

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
That should be posted in OT.

Make sure to use a local news source and not Fox.
Hmmm …OT...No.
“Firearms and Hunting”
“AR-15 Thread”
Several members of this community and across the country have an AR-15 for home defense including myself.
Post involves an AR-15 used in a home defense situation.

Local News Source - http://wtvr.com/2017/03/27/home-invaders-shot-dead-at-wagoner-county-residence/

Getaway driver arrested - http://www.kjrh.com/news/local-news/three-people-shot-killed-after-broken-arrow-home-invasion

61 - 80 of 106 Posts