VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I had my clutch wear out nearly a year ago, I decided to put in my parts (quaife, sachs sport disc, stock pressure plate, 3.94 with .72 5th, lightened flywheel)
The problems I had with the clutch was the normal slipping as well as a hesitation when shifting at high rpms. Once I found a shop to do my transmission work, different problems arose...mismatched R&P (bought it used), mismatched bolt kits from the dealer...it all came up to a few months before the parts were installed and the car was put back together. After the first install, my sport disc was fried and the pressure plate had the rivets popped off and so it needed to go back into the shop for a stock clutch and stock plate.
Same thing happened and the mechanic suspected the lightened flywheel. After installing another pressure plate, the damn thing broke again and this time blew a hole where the differential is and leaked fluid out. So this last time the transmission had to be rewelded, I got a new stock flywheel at the mechanics request and I got a new stock clutch/pressure plate.
The car wasn't anywhere near able to be raced since the clutch would stick at high rpms. I didn't mind that since I was still able to drive the car. Over the past weekend, my friend drove the car and pretty much fried the clutch and blew the pressure plate again.
This time I decided to go and buy a clutchmasters stage 3/ billet flywheel from DVS products (thanks for your help Scott) and placed the order today. As I drove back from my class, i heard 2 small sounds that could have been backfires and when i came to a stop at hte light, my car hesitated and then died.
I put on my hazards, and as the light turns green, the car behind me honks!!! At this point I had my hazards on for nearly a minute, but thats beside the point! So as traffic cleared, i was able to push my car into a busniess driveway a quarter of a block from where my car stopped. I ran to the shop (only a block away) and called a tow truck, waited in the rain for a few minutes and got the car towed to the shop. I then left the car there to be checked out and had a nice half hour walk in the cold rain (in a t-shirt no less) to think about the car and what to do with it.

I had the lightened flywheel tested, and its only 2.5 grams off which was well within spec. I was thinking that since I need new brakes, the brake fluid resevoir was too low and drew fluid away from my clutch pedal, causing it to not come up. I don't know how possible this is. It could be that the pressure plate was just too weak as well.
Either way, my car has seen more shop time than road time in the last year as well as over 8k in repair costs...
I don't blame anybody for the problems, my driving isn't the issue eitehr. There just seems to be a problem that cant be figured out. My car has a good amount of hp, but nothing close to one thats supposed to exceed the clutch.
I'm starting to wonder how much I love the car and how much it's worth it to keep. I'm jsut really sad and frustrated right now. On top of that, it doesn't seem like anybody else really had this problem before and I have tried every other route that poeple with similar problems had. THe shop shoudl get back to me tomorrow about what's going on with the engine. The stall was strange and i hope the engine didnt seize.
Anywho, what would u guys do? keep it cause i already invested so much into it or part it out and get something else?
thomas

·
Registered
113 Posts
Re: time to vent! (VR6roar)

dude, i feel the same way about my piece of crap. tons of money and time invested and nuthing comes out of it. 8 grand in repairs?? damn, thats alot man. u could have a sweet ass 5 litre for that price. im goin on my 3rd trans nowand i just cant justify spending 3 grand+ to have it fixed. i wanna sell my car so bad but who is gonna want it with a blown tranny. if i did find a buyer, what the hell am i gonna get out of it??? not enough to pay my loan thats for damn sure. i really hate to say it cause imma hardcore veedub fan (i own 3 air cooled cars) but these cars really suck for the money invested in them.... my 2 pennies.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Re: time to vent! (VR6roar)

Haven't heard anyone with worse luck. What kind of car is it BTW?
Don't know the details, but it sounds like bad parts and/or installation.
For 8K you could have gotten a turbo along with all that tranny work.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: time to vent! (green_slc)

it's a 95 gti...yeah, it seems like one or the other is bad, but the parts in question (flywheel) was measured as near perfect and the mechanics are very reputable, master status and vw certified with 17 years experience. If the underlying problem were known then maybe it could be fixed.
I been thinking about what could have been bought for 8k as well...so sad. i'm not sure if it is a learning experience anymore...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.