VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Welcome to my R32 thread, this will be a timeline of things done and events Iv taken the car too.

_DSC0021 by CPKphotos!, on Flickr​

I though I would be time to start this, I did one for my GTI and wish I started one when I bought this car, never to late.

Few little things when I bought the car, I got the car Feb 11 2012, Car was imported to Canada in 2006 I was told that it was one of the very first or the FIRST, I cant prove that but 2006 was when a first batch did get in.

Engine mods
-United Motorsports NA tune with No lift/LC
-TT 264/260 street cams
-Carbonio Cold air intake
-EIP Comp Cat Back 3inch
-Argon addicts Hi Flow cats/ mid pipe
-Tubular headers,down pipes
-Fluidampr
-BFI stg1 mounts
-42 Draft Crack pipe

Drivetrain/Brakes/Suspension
-Koni Yellows
-H&R lowering springs
-Hotchikis Rear sway bar
-Unibrace Xb WITW 13 edition
-Gruven Parts TT/R32 Rear Adjustable Swaybar End Linkages
-Gruven Parts TT/R32 Control Adjustable arms
-Poly front sway bar bushings
-Eurosport subframe Brace
-TyrolSport Solid front subframe bushing
-TyrolSport Solid Steering rack bushing
-Blue Haldex
-ECS SS brake line
-tyrolsport caliper stiffening kit
-EBC Red stuff street pad
-Hawk DTC-70 Track pads
-ECS 2-piece rotors
-HPA short shifter
-42 Draft Shifter bushing
-Solid Mount Shifter Bracket Bushings
-South Bend Stage 2 Endurance clutch kit
-ECS Bleeder Block

Wheels
18x8 Oz Ultraleggeras
235 40 18 Michelin Pilot Super sport

Cosmetic
-Leather and cloth seats
-40% tint
-Euro tails
-Retro fit headlights (on my 4th revision) Build Thread http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5786866-Retrofit-Time-)
-Seat Cupra R lip (ripped it off about 4 times now :p)
-MK6 wiper
-beetle head rests for the rear seats
-R-line OEM hood bra
-991 coolant and oil cap
-euro switch
-Shaved bumper
-Some vag com mods as well
-10MM spacers in the rear

The night of having home.
R32 by R32_Danny, on Flickr

Late winter finally was able to get some pictures and do a hand wash still on the

3-11-2012 by R32_Danny, on Flickr
IMG_3159 by R32_Danny, on Flickr

August of 2012 I did my first auto cross with the R came some where in the middle of the pack. Not bad for my first time.

Banner by R32_Danny, on Flickr

August the following year 2013 I came 10th over all and the 3ed fastest vw

IMG_9900 by R32_Danny, on Flickr
IMG_9902 by R32_Danny, on Flickr

Did WiTW 13 got to meet a bunch of you guys here and new friends also went this year and will be back for years to come. Also got to try my new wheels and tires also got the unibrace installed at wookies and freshly finished my retro fitted headlights.

So that's a little history. Now where is the car going and what are the future plans. Basically the first year was maintenance, second still was working out the bugs but I got to start doing some mods and having fun, 2014 this year is basiclly over the car will be parked for the winter after h2oi but I got a taste of my first track day and I'm addicted!

Mosport in May of 2014 At the DDT track they have not the full track. went with instructors and learned so much

IMG_4432 by R32_Danny, on Flickr
IMG_4729 by R32_Danny, on Flickr

Went to CSCS and came 7th! out of 12 or 15 cars for my first time attack event on normal street pads taking down STIs and wrxs:)

Friend got a shot of me in the pits before one of my seasons

[

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
R32

Looks good! Just the right amount of mods without breaking it. It's looks like your having fun with it. The last photo is keeps.

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
Dan, it seems more suited to a high horsepower car, however I wonder if it can counteract some of the (small) NVH additions from urethane engine mounts, shifter bushings, solid subframe mounts, etc.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

I'm also considering the subframe mounts and tubular CA's so this may be a good addition.

Bruce

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dan, it seems more suited to a high horsepower car, however I wonder if it can counteract some of the (small) NVH additions from urethane engine mounts, shifter bushings, solid subframe mounts, etc.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

I'm also considering the subframe mounts and tubular CA's so this may be a good addition.

Bruce
It does seem more suited for that but at the end of a day a better balanced motor and lighter pulleys you should see a improvement. I run the BFI mount and it feels almost like stock. plus the stolid shifter bushing are unreal! Now for solid subframe Iv read you there is very little added NVH but that's what USRT says.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
As some of you may know, I was at H2oi Last weekend. I picked up my fluid damper Thanks to Vito and Ellery (Exit9) and also parts for my GTi. It was very successful weekend coming First in G class mk4 Mild

IMG_20141002_220511 by R32_Danny, on Flickr

If you want to check out my H2oi Pictures follow this link https://secure.flickr.com/photos/r32danny/sets/72157647862953088/

IMG_1802 by R32_Danny, on Flickr
IMG_1803 by R32_Danny, on Flickr
IMG_1819 by R32_Danny, on Flickr
IMG_1949 by R32_Danny, on Flickr
H2Oi 2014 by Chad Kreiling, on Flickr

The my friends I drove home with aka the Canadians :p

IMG_1981 by R32_Danny, on Flickr
IMG_1979 by R32_Danny, on Flickr

·
Registered
170 Posts
What are sway bar end links for? I got the rear adjustable controll arms from gruven and it had the option, but didn't get them.. :laugh:

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Congrats dude. Your R is def clean for being driven like it is! Nice to meet you to btw!
Thanks man wait till next year. I'm getting some small paint bubbling fixed so she will look brand new :) and with what I got planned for this winter a better track car for next year :)

It was good to meet you at H2oi thanks for the pulley ! just got to install it :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What are sway bar end links for? I got the rear adjustable controll arms from gruven and it had the option, but didn't get them.. :laugh:
They are for my rear sway bar I have a adjustable hotchkis rear bar and the stock links cant reach to the stiffest setting. I have there control arms as well.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Car looks awesome my man and modded very nicely! I didnt see it listed what you went with for front rotors. They look like RB's to me, but just wanted to confirm and ask how you liked them. thumbs up for a rad car :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Car looks awesome my man and modded very nicely! I didnt see it listed what you went with for front rotors. They look like RB's to me, but just wanted to confirm and ask how you liked them. thumbs up for a rad car :thumbup:
Ill be buying RB rotors for next year and the BBK for the rear.

I'm using the Stoptech "power slot" rotors in the front and Zimmerman in the rear. The power-slots were good until I did 2 track days and now they are warped I wouldn't recommend them. I bought them at the time because I wanted slotted and I saw they were by stop tech and thought they were good this was also 3 years ago when was a noob at R32s I just bought the car.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
oh right on, thanks. I've been getting a list together of stuff to gather over the winter as well and new brakes all around are one of the major things. Had considered stop techs seeing as I don't track, but keep coming back to RB front two piece and rear RB standards all slotted.

Sent from the cellular

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
This thing looks great :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Went out and got some fall pictuers and more the likely one of the last drives for the year.

Now the part hording starts.

Must needs for next year ,new brakes all around ,tires for sure! My super sports are about 1-2mm off the wear lines. Got about 2 years out of them 2 wookies, 2 autocross days 2 full day track days also went to H2oi on them so im happy with them, ill probably buy another set.

IMG_9580 by R32_Danny, on Flickr
IMG_9581 by R32_Danny, on Flickr
IMG_9591 by R32_Danny, on Flickr
IMG_9585 by R32_Danny, on Flickr

1 - 20 of 128 Posts