VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, I'm thrilled to have rec'd my new distributor w/ ignitor to replce my old stock 2 hose vac type in my 71 SB. But I need to know about the new timing. What degree do I set TDC before I turn distributor and static set? and what do I do with the vac hoses???

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: timing 009 with ignitor, help! (pkagel)

I'm switching so I can static time, I'm not a very trusting soul, so having some non-vw person time it with the light, isn't my choice. My real problems are, it's the 71, the pulley has 1 notch which I'm figuring on being 5BTDC, but my "seam" has a small pointer like line on the edge of the distributor side of the block case. how do I find out what mark on block to use. I have not pulled off the old distrib yet. I know I'll need to mark my pulley at 7.5ATDC (which would be a hair over 1" to the right of the other notch, yes?) for the 009. for static timing... but I still need to know where the mark on the block really is. In reading my old idiots book, my "block" resembles the the marking pictures of the typeIII instead of the typeI !
I'm thinking of taking off work for a 2hr drive to a good Bug place... or wait til next Sat. and go. But then that loses the satisfaction of doing it myself

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.