VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pretty sure a few teeth were stripped off my timing belt last week.now im gonna take a look at it.
I cant get the vibration damper bolt off .i just tried my impact gun but couldnt break it loose...and does the motor HAVE to be at top dead center,if its already out of time,when Im taking everything off?
Only timed a jetta once and it was along time ago with a friend who did most the work.

· Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: (Greg_J)

the bentley says to turn the engine over by hand and get it to top dead center...then spin it 1 3/4 again and remove the vibration damper.
I think before when I did my timing (old jetta), I couldnt get this off and ended up working around it...it was a pain.
I have been searching and reading my bentley,but im sure ill ask some dumb questions, I seem to confuse myself easily.

· Registered
1,411 Posts
Re: (253jetta)

rotate till the cam is tdc so when the belt is off thats atleast dead nuts, the crank and im shaft are easy to turn with the belt off, but the cam isnt as easy.
get the crank to just before tdc so that when you put the belt on you can rotate it clockwise just a hair and make the belt tight, then rotate the tensioner tighten the nut and and your done.

· Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: (arenjenkins)

Quote, originally posted by arenjenkins »
and when you say vibration dampner bolt, you mean the 4 with 6mm allen heads right? your not trying to take the center bolt out correct?

Once you get those four allen bolts out of the pulley sitting on one end of the crank back passenger side of motor, the one that connects to water pump pulley and coolant pump pulley, it says to remove the vibration damper which is held on by that bolt in the middle and runs the alt. belt, right?.....so I guess I was trying to get that off,
....and im guessing I wasnt suppose to (never got it off though)...but I swear thats what the bentley said to do to remove the lower timing belt.

But i didnt even need to time it, everything was timed, but I think I didnt get the cam gear into that notch on the end of the cam right...that little half circle notch thing got pushed out when I put the gear back on after head swap....it was a matter of time before it slid loose I guess, still not sure what exactly happened. But that would also explain why my belt was about to fall off on the INSIDE of the cam gear. Dont care anymore because after I fixed that and it started, then slapped my coils on that came last week http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
but thanks for the help...and to clear things up am I not suppose to remove the center bolt to get that damper off? I know theres a bolt to the crank? down there I dont want to remove, but I thought it was behind the damper.

Modified by 253jetta at 7:47 PM 3-21-2010

Modified by 253jetta at 7:48 PM 3-21-2010

· Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: (arenjenkins)

Quote, originally posted by arenjenkins »
the cam gears keyway is cast into the gear itself, i dont understand how you got that off...maybe im not hearing you right.
dont remove the 19mm center bolt in the middle of the crank pulley.

if the gears keyway is that small notch that the cam gear has on the gear side to slide the gear on one way, then it is not cast into the cam...on both my new cam and the old one it is not cast in...in fact, I lost the one to the new cam the onther night putting the gear back on and had to use the one from the old head...

so how do i get the lower timing belt cover off to get the new belt on if I did need to replace it...
btw, it looked as if someone had replaced the timing belt recently and my brother (owner of car before me) said the old owner he got it from did the t belt...just thought Id mention Im not using the old ass belt I thought i was (og to a 250XXX motor)

· Registered
3 Posts
I am having a hard time getting my timing set right. I can't even get the engine to idle. I own two Bentley manuals and have done this procedure four times in the last 17 years. I thought one of the cams might have jumped a tooth, but everything looks right. I was certain that I had the dimple, notches and rotor aligned. I wasted 7 hours on this today. It has never taken me more than 1 hour to do this. Stupid me, did not check alignment marks before removing the old belt.
Anybody with some words of encouragement?
I am going to get after it again tomorrow morning. The car is already sold, so I would love to get it 'off the lot'.
edit: I have reviewed the Bentley procedure and found I had modified my method. I haven't been making sure the belt is tight from crank to intermediate shaft, and then up to the cam gear. I really hope this was all I needed to do today. Tomorrow is another day..

Modified by dr. dub-n-stein at 6:38 PM 3-27-2010

Modified by dr. dub-n-stein at 6:38 PM 3-27-2010

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.