VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Read the timing guide on cabby-info and had a question about how the vacuum advance and connecting hose plays into the equation. On most cars I've seen, the vacuum advance has to be plugged and the other hose capped. I didn't see this mentioned in the guide. Is this plugging technique implicit, or is it not applicable in this situation?

·
Registered
183 Posts
My "ever growing" understanding of the workings of this fine car is that there is (or should be) no vacuum to the vacuum advance device (located on the distributor) while the car is at idle. Therefore no concern during a timing procedure. Make sure there are no vacuum leaks, car is tuned etc before the timing procedure. Right guys and gals?
Regards, jjz

·
Registered
4,566 Posts
The vacuum drops under acceleration, not at idle. Hook up a vacuum gague and blip the throttle, watch it drop. :thumbup:

·
Registered
78rabbit1.5LGP & 82rabbitpickup1.6DGC
11,765 Posts
Even if it should be timed, as the document indicates, at 2250 RPMs?

timed via a timing light and the timing hole with the flywheel

youre timing the flywheel at 2250rpm

correct, there is no vacuum advance at 2250 rpm only during acceleration

·
Registered
18,225 Posts
Timing on a CIS engine is done at idle speed NOT 2250 (that is for Digi). It states that twice in the document that you are referring to.
:thumbup:

Read the third paragraph in step 6 carefully.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.