VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to replace my timing belt and I was just wondering which parts should I buy OEM and which performance. My engine has not been modified yet but it will be in the near future.
So far I understand that I should replace:
Timing Belt, Tensioner, Tensioner Roller, Idler Roller, Water Pump With gasket, Thermostat with O-ring, A/C Belt, P/S Belt, Water Pump Belt, crank pulley.
Since I'll be working in that area, should I replace other parts as well? Thanks.
I have 1999 VW Passat 1.8T

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Re: Timing Belt and other parts. (firejumper)

There have been a couple of threads regarding this topic in the last week alone. If you do a search there is even more. I know there is a really good DIY for the passat, but I forgot what the website was. It can be found with the search.
I did not replace the thermostat, but it came with the package.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Re: Timing Belt and other parts. (firejumper)

i've heard that the t-stat is not NECESSARY (I just did mine this weekend, search my topics) kind of because it's a pain in the neck, as i hear.
if i can recommend anything to you it's this: read as much as you can find and then read more. take your time, it took me probably a total of 20 hours (i kept having to turn around and re-do something) but hey, the car is friggin' running.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.