VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello everyone,
i have a 2001 jetta tdi and i just noticed that the front crankshaft seal is leaking. so i figured i would just replace the timing belt and water pump now that the car has 126k miles on it. i looked on the tdiclub website and printed out the article about how to change the timing belt. but here is the question? do i really have to loosen the bolts on the injection pump pulley? i do not have a vag-com or have access to a laptop to download it, so i am starting to worry that if i take on this task by myself, i will not have the ability to drive my car again due to my inability to get the injection timing right! Can i just put the injection pump locking pin in and replace the new timing belt and try to put it in the same place as when i took off the old one??? please help me as i am a not in a financial position to get this service done anywhere else? thank you for your time.
sirimal
2001 jetta tdi
126000 miles and still going strong.

· Registered
218 Posts
Re: timing belt change (seereemal)

Are you on the original timing belt?
I don't loosen the bolts on the pump. I check the timing before I start and when I'm done and it is very rare to have to change it. If you do loosen the bolts and then tighten them down with the lock tools in place the car should start and run well, but the timing should be checked when done either way.
I have the kits and tools available for rent on my web site http://www.metalmanparts.com

· Registered
156 Posts

Yes, Not to worry as long as you have the Cam lock and the injection lock pin you will be fine. Make sure you check and double check your marks on the flywheel after you install the belt and the cam pulley. I always rotate the engine over by hand after the tensioner is adjusted.Then recheck your timing marks. Good luck, Joe

· Registered
364 Posts

Quote, originally posted by seereemal »
i have a 2001 jetta tdi and i just noticed that the front crankshaft seal is leaking. so i figured i would just replace the timing belt and water pump now that the car has 126k miles on it. i looked on the tdiclub website and printed out the article about how to change the timing belt. .... i am a not in a financial position to get this service done anywhere else?

It's good that you visited the TDICLUB and got at least some info about the timing belt. But.... it sounds like you still need to do some more research.
Or talk to Leonard Harview at Wild Rose Motors in Fullerton (310-721-4867). You need a deluxe 100k-mile timing belt kit, and you should have it installed by someone who knows what he's doing.

· Registered
308 Posts
Re: timing belt change (capriccio)

Quote, originally posted by capriccio »
It's good that you visited the TDICLUB and got at least some info about the timing belt. But.... it sounds like you still need to do some more research.
Or talk to Leonard Harview at Wild Rose Motors in Fullerton (310-721-4867). You need a deluxe 100k-mile timing belt kit, and you should have it installed by someone who knows what he's doing.

http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif
If you're slightly mechanical and you buy the tools required for the job you should have no problem doing a timing belt change yourself. The howto on tdiclub is great but make sure you have a bentley manual handy as well. The biggest key with this job is paying attention to what you're doing and following the instructions. When I did mine for the first time it took all of a saturday, but... I did water pump while I was in there. The next time I do it, I'll be able to do it in half the time.
1) Buy the tools necessary for the job (probably the metalnerd ones). Proper tools include the bentley manual and vag-com if you don't have it. If you have a friend that has vag-com, that's fine, just make sure there's one on site when you do the job.
2) Buy the right parts for the job. I got mine from metalmanparts.com (MKIV TDI 100k TB kit) but, you can get them a number of places, ecstuning.com, etc.. If you're not sure, buy a kit
3)Read the tdiclub howto twice before you start. If you don't, forget about doing the job and take it to a mechanic. You need to understand what you're doing.
As for your question on the injection pump bolts. I used vag-com to see what my injection numbers were before the TB change. I also loosened the bolts on the injection pump as the tdiclub instructions suggested, and I used the locking pin, just as they suggested. My timing was virtually identical when I had it all back together, but... I wouldn't do the job without the vag-com to double check stuff.
Don't be afraid of it all... it's just a car.

· Registered
990 Posts
Re: timing belt change (hovak)

Quote, originally posted by hovak »

As for your question on the injection pump bolts. I used vag-com to see what my injection numbers were before the TB change. I also loosened the bolts on the injection pump as the tdiclub instructions suggested, and I used the locking pin, just as they suggested. My timing was virtually identical when I had it all back together, but... I wouldn't do the job without the vag-com to double check stuff.

loosening the bolts is an important step. while some have done it without loosening, its that one time that the belt is off enought in its teeth spacing that it will cause a difference.
loosening the bolts makes for a "by the book" professional TB change.

· Registered
308 Posts
Re: timing belt change (FrankVW)

Quote, originally posted by FrankVW »
loosening the bolts is an important step. while some have done it without loosening, its that one time that the belt is off enought in its teeth spacing that it will cause a difference.
loosening the bolts makes for a "by the book" professional TB change.

by the book http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
1,611 Posts
Re: timing belt change (hovak)

You might consider replacing the water pump while you are in there. It will probably fail before the next time you do a timing belt job, and it's easier to access when you already have the belt off anyway.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.