VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

2 Guys (one idiot - me, and an Engineer) cannot figure out how to get a new timing belt on the car.
Please share the secret.
What is the sequence? Is it Crank pulley, water pump pulley, Cam pulley then tensioner? Or Crank pulley, tensioner, Cam pulley, then pry onto water pump?
We have spent an hour on this without any luck?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Timing Belt - I can't get it on :( (enginerd)

Yes, it has a new tensioner in it and we have not pulled the pin.
When we removed the old belt we pulled it off of the waterpump first. Now, we have everything installed with the appropriate the marks lined up on the timimg belt and Cam gear and we assume that easiest way to put the belt back on is to pry it back over the new waterpump. This is obviously wrong...
I find it very hard to believe that even with the tensioner completely loose (pin is still in place) we cannot get the new belt even close. We even tried to put the old belt back on, thinking it might be the wrong belt but that did not work either.
The method that we are using is setting it on the crank first, holding it in place, placing the belt over the tensioner, then the cam and we cannot pull it over the water pump, so what are we doing wrong? This shouldn't take 2 people to accomplish.

Modified by JP3 at 7:48 AM 5-10-2007

Modified by JP3 at 7:59 AM 5-10-2007

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
Re: Timing Belt - I can't get it on :( (JP3)

I left the bolts out of the roller, put the belt on, used all my muscles to push roller back in place, and inserted bolts.
This was a pain, took me about 5 tries to get it on meanwhile keeping everything lined up.
I think others have left the tensioner unbolted while putting belt on.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Timing Belt - I can't get it on :( (Nightrider)

Nightrider,
So, you left the large wheel, held in place with the one big hex bolt on the block.
Did you bolt the tensioner rod assembly, with pin in it, to the block and only removed the small silver roller to get the belt on?
Or did you remove the entire tensioner rod assembly including the silver roller off and re-install after the belt was in place?
Thanks!

Modified by JP3 at 8:13 AM 5-10-2007

Modified by JP3 at 8:13 AM 5-10-2007

Modified by JP3 at 8:18 AM 5-10-2007

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
put everything on the block and cylinderhead but the tensioner. Let the roller that bolts to the cylinder head sag as much as possible. Slide the belt on everything and do the cam gear last. When you put it on the cam gear only put about 1/16 of the belt on the gear. Start on the left side of the gear and work you way to the right side of the gear only sliding 1/16 of the belt on. Once you have got that far go ahead and slide it it on the rest of the way on the gear. Once that is all in plate push the rollor up and slide the tensioner in to place and torque down the 2 bolts. Release the pin and BAM timing belt |Done.
Turn crank over 10 rotations belt will slide in the middle of the gear and align it self proporly also listen for any metal on metal action or any spots where the crank just wont turn this may mean you have a problem.
Good Luck http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Re: Timing Belt - I can't get it on :( (JP3)

i left the cam gear last. Everywhere else the belt was in place. It took me a few tries as well, with a couple other guys. It's a real b!tch to get on, while trying to keep everything aligned as well

·
Registered
5,519 Posts
Re: Timing Belt - I can't get it on :( (silverbullet420)

the tensioner. there's 2 bolts -- loosen the bottom one and pull the top one all the way out. Let it rock backwards off the roller. Put the belt on all the pulleys(easy)... then slide the tensinoer back into place, insert bolt and tighten.
Real easy, first try

·
Registered
420 Posts
Re: Timing Belt - I can't get it on :( (haenszel)

Quote, originally posted by haenszel »
the tensioner. there's 2 bolts -- loosen the bottom one and pull the top one all the way out. Let it rock backwards off the roller. Put the belt on all the pulleys(easy)... then slide the tensinoer back into place, insert bolt and tighten.
Real easy, first try

X2 http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.