VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of purchasing a 2007 Passat 2.0t wagon with 35k miles. The Carfax shows that it was well taken care of but has never had the timing belt replaced. Is this something I should prioritize due to age even though the mileage is so low? Is mileage really the big factor on these failing or can they rot from just getting old?

Also I got quoted $1500 in labor plus parts to get this done by a local VW dealership which is higher than I thought it would be but I don't really have a point of reference on what a reasonable cost is in 2022. Is this unreasonable or in the ballpark for this?

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Great question. Usually people say that it's not the belt that fails, but rather the other components like idlers and tensioners. That's when you go over the mileage.

There is also a time based replacement interval, which your are will beyond. I would certainly replace the belt before driving the car much.

That price does seem high, but we don't know what's all included. Either way, it's typically better to find a good independent shop that specializes in Euro cars, at the dealer you will pay more and often have sub standard work done.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
824 Posts
I would definitely recommend changing it out, time is not kind to wear parts.

I would highly suggest checking the cam follower too. Easy check, easy swap. Literally, the weakest link of the motor.

Enjoy the low mileage wagon. Bought mine with 16k in 2008, great car.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for the advice. I will probably just shop around at a couple euro mechanics nearby and get the timing belt done so that I don't have to worry about it. After looking up the cam follower issues on this car that also looks worth checking out (I might even be able to do that one myself). Other than those items the other think I am think I might do is spark plugs. If there is anything else I'm missing that I should do on a car like this (low miles but 15 years old) let me know.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts