VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I submitted a post a few days ago saying that my timing belt had broke. Suprisingly the belt was not broken but all the teeth were stripped off. I could see parts of my belt sitting in the bottom T-belt cover. Also everything was covered in oil. Do you all think that the oil deteriorated the belt? Would the motor be just as much damaged as if I broke the belt completely? The belt was still on all the sprockets. I'm just wondering if it slpped enough to make it cut off, but not damage it. Please, I need some help. Thank you for your time.

·
Registered
5,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: Timing Belt question (Brett92)

BTW, The Bently manual says that the upper timing belt cover had ONE hex bolt. It even showed an exploded view, and there was only one bolt shown. Mine had two. Just wanted to get that off my chest. It took me about 20 minutes to get that stupid cover off. Why can't they have clips like the A2 Jettas and Golfs?

·
Banned
702 Posts
Re: Timing Belt question (Brett92)

Better to bolt on
Chances are like 98% that you bent a valve or two, i haven't heard of many cases where a 16v survived a timingbelt incident, think of it this way though, now you can get a P&P or a 1.8 head http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

1 - 3 of 3 Posts