VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9,158 Posts
Make your own marks with some whiteout or similar. Mark a couple teeth on the belt for each pulley (cam, intermediate, crank). Can't hurt to go to tdc, but it isn't necessary. You could also remove the belt, then get things aligned properly.

·
Registered
21,252 Posts
FV-QR

Quote, originally posted by vw GTI FL »
i have to change a timing belt tensioner soon. Does anyone has any tips how to do it without messing up my timing? any help is very appreciated. Car is 96 gti. Thanks in advance

Use a bungee cord. Use it to keep the tension on the belt when you loosen the tensioner and replace it. You wont even need to worry about your timing as long as you keep the tension on the belt.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Re: FV-QR (tdogg74)

Quote, originally posted by tdogg74 »

Use a bungee cord. Use it to keep the tension on the belt when you loosen the tensioner and replace it. You wont even need to worry about your timing as long as you keep the tension on the belt.

^^this is a great idea. I've done the same but using zip ties.

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
Re: FV-QR (tdogg74)

Quote, originally posted by tdogg74 »

I use the spanner wrench from hazet works on the early style, I forget how to tensioner the thermo style

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.