VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
at 65k did water pump, TB, tensioner etc etc..
question is when i did it originally i replaced with one with a metal impeller, should i not worry about it again, and just replace the belt and tensioner, or should i just do it all while im in there? Car will have 120k on it when i do it..

just not looking to spend the money if its not necessary. thanks

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
Why are you doing it so early? wait until around 150,000km. Unless your racing your car, you don't need to change the belt that often... let the arguements begin.. lol

As far as the water pump goes, the reason for replacing the OEM pump is due to the plastic impeller wearing out/breaking. Hence the metal replacement being used(no more broken impellers) there is still a bearing that can and will wear out, it's just a matter of when, now because the timing belt is used to drive the WP, and if that bearing wears out and breaks you can potentionally have a very expensive situation, so you should probably replace the water pump either way..

Modified by VWJettaCarat at 2:58 PM 2-1-2010

·
Registered
15,993 Posts
FV-QR

dont listen to him....if you can do it get it done
he wont be buying you a new head/parts if it breaks
and i would not replace the wp a 2nd time...but when belt is off take it out and inspect...cant hurt

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
Re: FV-QR (ForVWLife)

Quote, originally posted by ForVWLife »
dont listen to him....if you can do it get it done
he wont be buying you a new head/parts if it breaks
and i would not replace the wp a 2nd time...but when belt is off take it out and inspect...cant hurt

Bearings can wear out anytime... Personally I would change the pump.. $50 bucks now or a couple thousand later.
if you mean 65,000 MILES. Then yes change the belt.. if only 65,000 KM, then no.

·
Registered
4,496 Posts
Re: FV-QR (ForVWLife)

60k is the correct replacement interval, i wouldnt trust the tensioner a mile over that.
I would take the waterpump out and inspect it. but i highly dout the pump will need replaced, the reason for using the metal one is so it doesnt disintegrate like the plastic ones do.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: FV-QR (nopistons)

Quote, originally posted by nopistons »
60k is the correct replacement interval, i wouldnt trust the tensioner a mile over that.
I would take the waterpump out and inspect it. but i highly dout the pump will need replaced, the reason for using the metal one is so it doesnt disintegrate like the plastic ones do.

that's what i thought...
i'll have a look at it when the time comes, if i feel like it needs to be replaced i will do so. thanks everyone http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.