VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2000 Beetle 1.8 Turbo has almost 100,000 miles. I know it is time to change the timing belt. How many miles do you have on your beetle and have you change the belt and what else do i need to change. Thanks

· Registered
7,345 Posts
Re: Timing Belt when do you change them (BetterOffDead)

change your belt now! If it snaps you are looking at new valves possibly pistons even throw a motor. Ask me Im on motor number 2 and I am in the process of rebuilding my GF because hers snapped and bent two valves. She got lucky

There is your motivation.

· Banned
117 Posts
Re: Timing Belt when do you change them (JB's Turbo)

change the waterpump while your there, it is more than worth the cost of the pump.
Ive done the mk4Tbelt a few times, not hard at all. somewhere back there is a post on this topic..with many points of info.

· Registered
647 Posts
Re: Timing Belt when do you change them (Banned-4-Life)

i just had some degree of water pump/timing belt failure this morning @ 66,800... the car was still running fine when i noticed the high temp, heard funny noise and shut it off... the belt had tears in it, but it was not broken...
i got lucky...
as for what to change, change everything they have listed
http://www.ecstuning.com/stage...=2286

· Registered
26 Posts

Well.. My bug has 107,000 miles and its a 2000 GLS 2.0
As much money as I have put into this car it better last me a long time. I mean with body kits and all that great stuff.
Anyway I replaced mine at 90,000 I had a friend that worked at VW before do mine.. CHANGE THE WATERPUMP while your there!

· Registered
5,387 Posts

I understand the concern with the timing belt longevity, but as long as it's changed within VW's timeframe, it's covered under VW's powertrain warranty. So, for all pre-'02 owners that means you have 10yrs or 100,000miles for your motor to blow up. If it does before then because of a timing belt then VW has to fix it.

· Registered
7,023 Posts
Re: Timing Belt when do you change them (Pelican18TQA4)

Quote, originally posted by Pelican18TQA4 »
I understand the concern with the timing belt longevity, but as long as it's changed within VW's timeframe, it's covered under VW's powertrain warranty. So, for all pre-'02 owners that means you have 10yrs or 100,000miles for your motor to blow up. If it does before then because of a timing belt then VW has to fix it.

That only applies to the origanal owner. If you are the second, third or whatever owner that warranty is over at 5 years or 50,000 miles.
My rule of thumb has and been 60,000 miles or 6 years which ever comes first on timing belts. The main reason is because on VWs you see waterpump failures between 62000 and 120,000 miles. Lately they have been popping right around 73000 miles on average from the recent threads I have seen. When that pump goes more then half the time it takes the belt out with it and you have some major costs involved on fixing that engine.
Do it early and do it often is the best advice I can give on this matter.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.