VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I have a 2011 Tiguan 4Motion(170k km, 105k miles), and I need to change oil pump and the balance shaft.
While I change these, I think changing the timing chain would be a wise choice.
OEM cost of the chain is 800 CAD(618 USD) and it is too expansive in my opinion. My mechanic is okay if I buy the parts myself, and I found it for the half of its original price on fcpeuro.com.

My problem is, there are couple types of timing chain on their website and I don't know which one I should buy it.
Do you have any suggestion for me to buy?
I found this, but now sure if it is the correct one;

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
I got my chain tensioner and guides from Strictly European Motor for very reasonable prices. If you are in Canada like your profile says I would highly recommend talking to Tom and getting the parts there.

I got a "Febi" chain(actually Morse who makes the OE one), Elring timing cover and OEM guides for great prices.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Well, I see a few issues here. First, I assume that you are getting this work done from the oil pressure light coming on? In general, that is the result of a worn balance shaft. There are actually two balance shafts, and either one can cause a problem. If you replace them, you should also replace the balance shaft chain, guides and maybe tensioner. You are also supposed to change the drive gear on the intake side balance shaft as well, as it has a coating that wears in to the balance shaft setting the proper clearance.

I have NOT seen issues with these oil pumps, unless a lot of junk has gone through them, and in that case you may have bearing damage as well.

Personally, I only use the factory IWIS brand chain. I think they are around $160-$175(US wholesale from the dealer). I have bought LOTS of them. I have had a bad experience with a defective aftermarket chain set, and it cost me a head. I don’t care if the part is guaranteed, as it won’t pay for the rest or labor.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts