VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do timing chains Break ever or do they just make alot of noise???? I'm planning on doing them as soon as my tax check comes but they are getting rather noisy and I'm kinda worried.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Just had this happen to my VR6... crazy nasty rattle like metal cards in a bike tire... then poof no power no compression and lots of sadness...

Dont let this happen to you...
:eek:
I like the way you put that.:thumbup: just did my chains today and they weren't stretched or anything. But i changed them anyway just to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Do timing chains Break ever or do they just make alot of noise???? I'm planning on doing them as soon as my tax check comes but they are getting rather noisy and I'm kinda worried.
My 2001 V6 Jettas timing tensioner broke with only 70k miles. That was 7 years ago. Engine seased, had it towed home. I found a local garage specifically for VW, they found the heads, valves , chain tensioner all torn up. After a lengthy search for engine replacement, they located another 2.8 engine..they swapped out the engine after putting new timing belt, tensioner water pump and a few other things. Total $4.5k.
Car still going strong. I bought it with 2k on it so it's become too hard to part with, grand kids will be getting it next

1 - 7 of 7 Posts