VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay well I'm still battling timing woes... I can get the car to start but its hard to start. I hooked up a timing light to the #1 Cylinder and looking at the crankmark with the light its ~2-3" to the left where it runs. When you rotate the distributor to the right to set the mark up to be correct, it idles low and has less than 10in of vac. and smokes black. I took a short video of it on my camera and I'll post a link up to it. One with the timing redarded and one with it close to the mark on the crankgear aligned. What the hell is wrong with my car? Pulling the Blue Temp sensor connector seems to help, but i'd rather know and fix whats wrong rather than just patching the problem.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Here is a picture of the cam situated correctly. Right? This is an ABA Camgear hence my white dot is my timing mark.

Here is my bottom end set to spec at the lower crank mark.
and the car running with the advance drastically retarted

and aligned with the marks

What am I missing?

·
Registered
13,168 Posts
Re: Timing is retarded and runs okay??? (sdezego)

Quote, originally posted by sdezego »
Are you setting the timing following the procedure in the Bentley?
Blue CTS unplugged at operating temp etc?

That is the first thing.
The second is it sounds like you are checking the timing at idle based on the vid...
3rd, why the need for your own mark on the cam Gear? The G60 and ABA show the same part #.
S

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
they have different timing marks, or i think they do anyway. the camgear on my car is from a '93-'95 golf. I only have one dot and thats not correct as the G60 has two that you center on the valvecover/head contact point.
I won't have a chance to mess with it again until sunday. I'm open to any ideas. I may be missing something while setting the timing, does the ECU have to adjust/learn the settings and save them in its memory?

·
Registered
13,168 Posts
Re: (dansXR2)

The ECu is NOT adaptive, so whatever it is set at it how it rolls.

I just checked ETKA and both the G60 and 93-95 Golf use 049109111C as the cam Cog (# should be imprinted on the cog).
You don;t have two dots on the outer side of the cam gear? They should "split" the V/C gasket surface of the head. iirc there is also a mark on the inside of the cam gear to line up with the head gasket surface as well, but it has been a while....

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
there sure is only one dot. I had a difficult time trying to get that one figured out... This is my first experience with German cars so basically I'm starting all over on what I know or what I thought I knew.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
my car is an automatic and I'm curious as to which of the 2 holes on the tranmission is used to check the timing with. Anyone have a pic of the automatic timing mark, just so i know what I'm looking for. Also where in those holes should it be?

·
Registered
13,168 Posts
Re: (dansXR2)

If you get the engine at TDC, you can look in the hole and view the TDC mark. If you rotate the motor back just a tad, you will see the 6* mark. You can verify these with the notch on the front serp pulley (lines up on the plastic housing downward facing arrow at TDC) to make sure it is all in sync. Since you just fixed the crank cog, they all should be.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Re: (sdezego)

still working to figure out how far the ABA o/t mark is from 12:00. from the top pic, It appears the cam needs to go 2-3 teeth back or retarded. should have a pic shortly.
just remember that the timing light does no good with the CTS connected. when the cts is disconnected, all ignition advance is removed and we get useful timing info.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i wish i known u was up here. let me know if your up this way again. i have all next week off so hopefully I can get it running or at least figure out whats wrong. i'm still puzzled...

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Here's it rolled back to TDC, I know the cam is off for sure. On the automatics, where should the flywheel mark be, in the middle of the bigger hole? I can't seem to find a good pic but I have located TDC with a screwdriver down the #1 Cylinder. My hats off to Sciroccoman for helping me with my timing issues!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.