VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I have access to a timing light now, so I've decided to take on a new project... timing my engine. I know, may sound like no big deal, but I want to make sure it's 100% correct... so I thought I'd ask the pros.
First off, I know where to check the timing on these cars, so I don't need that info. I also know how to loosen the distributor, so that's no problem either. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
What I do need to know is this:
I've had my Shadetree mechanic set the timing, and all he did was adjust the idle speed, everything connceted.
I've been reading the Bentley, and they recommend to set the timing with the coolant temp sensor unplugged, and the idle at 2000-2500 (after proper engine warm-up has occurred). First off, I can't get the engine to stay at a constant RPM (other than idle), and I can't see the timing mark until I do this. If I can adjust the idle safely at idle, I can do this... but do I leave the temp sensor out? If I adjust it this way, then connect the sensor the timing mark is a little off, but the engine seems to run great...
Anyways, I want to hear what you guys have done. I have no mods, so there's nothing external to factor in.
Thanks in advance
JASON

·
Banned
3,053 Posts
Re: Timing my Digifant II! (Fahrfrumluzin)

depending on what unit you have to check timing, it should be connected to the number 1 cylinder wire and you check it by looking at the fly wheel....keep advancing or retarding the unit so the light flashes so only the timing mark shows up...isnt to hard, but hard to explain...need more info IM me...

·
Registered
851 Posts
Re: Timing my Digifant II! (Fahrfrumluzin)

1) Rev the eng. 4 times above 3k rpm.
2) unplug temp sensor
3) set idle speed
4) hold rpm to 2-2.5k and check / set timing
5) reconnect temp sensor

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.