VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
Re: Timing Question (BurnTheCouch)

I helped Gary do the work in his DIY. I dont recall ever seeing one on my 93 Corrado, so I think it was a later addition.
You can double check your TDC by looking at the ground tooth on the crank chain sprocket (below picture).

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
The flywheel/clutch marker is far more accurate than the crank pulley baecuase it's on a larger radius. I always go off that (which co-incides with the crank pulley notch perfectly of course).

·
Registered
16,128 Posts
Re: (phatvr6)

Quote, originally posted by phatvr6 »
The flywheel/clutch marker is far more accurate than the crank pulley baecuase it's on a larger radius. I always go off that (which co-incides with the crank pulley notch perfectly of course).

The crank pulley mark (if present) is more than sufficient for timing the engine though. For the chains to be a tooth off, the crank pulley would have to be off a couple of degrees from the mark. Even though the diameter of the crank pulley is much smaller than the flywheel, it's not that difficult to get the pulley within a couple of degrees of the mark.
The biggest benefit of using the crank pulley mark is that you don't have to remove the transmission! That's no small benefit in situations when the tranny doesn't have to be removed (like when doing cams or a headgasket job).
Gary

·
Registered
37,544 Posts
Re: (VgRt6)

There's also a set of marks on the intermediate shaft sprocket that determine TDC. Those are the best ones to use.
The ones on the flywheel are NEVER spot on. Due to the large radius and chain slack, you won't be able to get the fw mark dead on and everythig else lined up. It will be close (within 1") but not right on when you're done. If you're doing it this way be VERY careful as it's easy to get a tooth off.

·
Registered
16,128 Posts
Re: (need_a_VR6)

Quote, originally posted by need_a_VR6 »
There's also a set of marks on the intermediate shaft sprocket that determine TDC. Those are the best ones to use.

True, but they shouldn't be used alone to set TDC. You can time the intermediate sprocket correctly and still have the crank and camshafts timed completely wrong.
The important thing to remember is that if the chains are still on the engine and the engine is timed correctly, you only need one of the four timing marks (cams, intermediate shaft, crank or flywheel) to set TDC. If the chains are off, then you need at least three marks lined up (cams, intermediate and crank) to set TDC.
Gary

·
Registered
37,544 Posts

In my post above I was figuring people knew well enough to have the cams set, as well as a dial indicator in #1 to make sure it is definitley ay the top.
Funny story, when my head came off the last time we had a hard time getting the int shaft to line up with the mark in the cover. Strange. Rotated it 180 and it was dead on to TDC. The builder of the motor put the int shaft 180 out! Car ran fine too, as all that does is drive the oil pump. So do yourself and the next owner a favor, if you do the lower chain, please time the int shaft right!

·
Registered
16,128 Posts

In my post above I was figuring people knew well enough to have the cams set, as well as a dial indicator in #1 to make sure it is definitley ay the top.

I know you know what's going on. I only posted that for the newbs who might read through this thread.
Funny story, when my head came off the last time we had a hard time getting the int shaft to line up with the mark in the cover. Strange. Rotated it 180 and it was dead on to TDC. The builder of the motor put the int shaft 180 out! Car ran fine too, as all that does is drive the oil pump. So do yourself and the next owner a favor, if you do the lower chain, please time the int shaft right!

http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
16,128 Posts

I just reread this. It's strange that the intermediate shaft being 180° off messed things up. Both the inner and out sprockets on the inter. shaft have an even # of teeth, so being 180° off shouldn't matter one bit. The position of the teeth should be exactly the same. If one or both of the sprockets had an odd number of teeth, then it would be a completely different story.
On newer motors, there are actually two timing marks on the inter. shaft washer, one at 12 o'clock and one at 6 o'clock. You can use either one. I don't see why it would be different on older motors, but I may be missing something.
Gary

·
Registered
2,899 Posts

Quote, originally posted by VgRt6 »
Both the inner and out sprockets on the inter. shaft have an even # of teeth, so being 180° off shouldn't matter one bit. The position of the teeth should be exactly the same. If one or both of the sprockets had an odd number of teeth, then it would be a completely different story.
Gary

Gary is right. The Bentley states that the intermediate shaft can have the indicator arrow postitioned straight up or straight down. Makes no difference.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
and the fact that you can't see the intermediate pulley once the enging is in the car means it's a pretty pointless timing mark.

·
Registered
37,544 Posts
Re: (phatvr6)

For the record, the int shaft being 180 out didn't "mess anything up" it just caused a whole lot of confusion when we were searching for TDC.
You can see the int shaft sprocket fine with the side cover off and your trusty inspection mirror.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts