VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What might be going on with the cam timing here? As you can see the duty cycle (whatever that is?) is supposed to be 15.3% or as close as possible... its 50.2% on my exhaust camshaft, "phase position" is meant to sit between 66-82 on camshaft adjustment for exhaust and mine is 132!

Screenshot of VCDS - VCDS questions.jpg
Handwriting Rectangle Font Parallel Pattern

·
Registered
84 Posts
Where are you getting your "recommendations" from???

Your specified adjustments are pretty close to the actuals - no problems there.

The duty cycle is based entirely on the oil pressure/flow required to adjust to where the variator needs to be. If it's not tapped out, and failing to acheive the specifed angle, not really a problem.

The exhaust one is always pretty high at idle, because the oil pump is running slower, and it works the opposite way to the intake - it needs a higher duty cycle to let enough oil though to pull the cam timing back to where it should be... and it had done it.

On group 091, the two right hand columns are "specified" and "actual" (or measured). The ECU decides the "specified", based on it's inputs and maps, and it has it adjusted to within 0.5 degrees. Perfectly fine.

Moving up to group 090 - same things, but for the exhaust. Also working fine.

Your group 209 spec of 66-82 is probably for a MK4 at a guess, and this is a MK5 right? The MK5 has a MUCH larger exhaust cam adjustment range.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Where are you getting your "recommendations" from???

Your specified adjustments are pretty close to the actuals - no problems there.

The duty cycle is based entirely on the oil pressure/flow required to adjust to where the variator needs to be. If it's not tapped out, and failing to acheive the specifed angle, not really a problem.

The exhaust one is always pretty high at idle, because the oil pump is running slower, and it works the opposite way to the intake - it needs a higher duty cycle to let enough oil though to pull the cam timing back to where it should be... and it had done it.

On group 091, the two right hand columns are "specified" and "actual" (or measured). The ECU decides the "specified", based on it's inputs and maps, and it has it adjusted to within 0.5 degrees. Perfectly fine.

Moving up to group 090 - same things, but for the exhaust. Also working fine.

Your group 209 spec of 66-82 is probably for a MK4 at a guess, and this is a MK5 right? The MK5 has a MUCH larger exhaust cam adjustment range.
Thank you very much for your response. My engine is actually in an audi TT, engine code BHE, .... I was going off what this guy was advising -

He does, like you said, say other engines might have different values. I was worried about the cam offsets in blocks 208 and 209 being more than 3 degree apart (-1 and +3) and started reading into timing chain stretch stuff. I've only just bought the car and after doing this reading I decided to check the condition of the oil and filter. The oil was not awful but not brilliant either, the filter was starting to implode so oil pressure was probably being reduced by this (?), which like you say will affect oil pressure higher up in the engine and the variator function (?). I'm going to run a few oil changes through it over next few months and measure these blocks after each change.

Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
2004 R32, 1984 Rabbit Convertible, 2017 Sportwagon 4motion
516 Posts
I got similar readings even after replacing my chains. I think the big take away is that the engine is getting specified and actual close which is good. Your 208 and 209 values look fine too. They are supposed to be between +/- 8

Another thing is make sure oil is up to top temp when checking these values. As in your car has been highway driven for 20+ mins before hand. These engines take a long time to get the oil up to temp. 15 mins minimum

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.