VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so i have a mk2 tranny on my mk3 engine. i changed my head gasket and now i cant seem to get my engine timing correct. does anyone have experience with this matter. what timing marks do i use.

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
Re: TIMMING PROBLEM!! mk2 tranny on a mk3 engine (VTDUBDUDE)

well....it may...
He changed the head gasket, pulled the head, and as a result pulled the timing belt
Do this my man:
Remove spark plug #1, shove a screwdriver into the hole and crank the engine by HAND. When it reaches the top of the cylinder, check the mark on the flywheel - is it there? If not - make a new one.
Follow regular install procedure, blah blah and you'll be good to go.
When I did my gearbox/flywheel swap I didn't change timing, but later on when I pulled the head, I made a point to mark the flywheel with a red dab of paint at TDC

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: TIMMING PROBLEM!! mk2 tranny on a mk3 engine (Pagano)

amazingly we figured it out... we had a problem with is because the timing mark for the mk3 is in the bell housing on the fly wheel. instead of doing that we had to do it the way the 1.8ltr? mk3 or the mk2 8v gets timed by using the intermediate shaft and crank pully. we had a couple other problems with lining it up good. it was to retarted at one pont because it had absolutly no low end power till about 4000 rpm. we were about to give up yesterday and we just threw it together, amazing it worked. lol. but yea i learned lot from that experiece.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts