VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
TINTING TAILLIGHTS DIY

TINTING TAILLIGHT DIY
Ok, so after a week of hunting down the damn spray (night shades), i finally got started on my night (2 hour) project. My outcome will be different from your outcome, depending on how dark you want your taillights.
**Outcome my vary**
In my project I tinted my side blinkers first as a test to see how the stuff works.... needless to say i got it too dark, but i learned and quickly started on the taillights.

Tools (Things youll need)
1. (1) Can of "Night Shades" by VHT
2. (1) Can of "Clear Coat" by KRYLON
3. (1) Sheet of ^800^ Sand paper
4. (1) Sheet of ^1500^ wet Sand paper
5. (1) Roll of Tape (forgot the name, but the one that sticks on plastic)
6. (1) Pair of Plasic gloves or the Latex gloves
7. (1) Respirtory* mask (for safety purposes only)
8. (1) Ratchet with 8/15 head
9. (5)
(no underage drinking)

Here We Go REMOVE THE TAILLIGHTS
1. Once you obtain all the necessary tools, with the exception of a few things, you can get started. First off youll want to test the experiment on your Side Blinkers if you want.
trust me youll want to.

But anyways, Youll want to take off your Taillights. You can use a wrench which will be kinda hard, or a ratchet with an 8/15 head to make it super easy

You can get to the taillight compartment by the inner trunk.

From the inside of the trunk; the left and right back-side of the taillights is unreachable by the lining interier. The left side has (1) black dial and the right side has (2) black dials that need simple turning to get off. Once off, simply pull the interier walls off to the side,(not completely off) just enough to work with.

There are 4 nuts
that need coming off. Simple turning from the ratchet does the trick. Then pull off the light and disconnect the plug from the light.(some say disconnect the battery, but I didnt).

TAPING & CLEANING
2. Do i really have to explain this part, tape the parts that you dont want to be tinted.
Then wash the lights with ANYTHING!!! soap and water will do, Windex is good, and spit comes in handy.

WASH YOUR HANDS
WASH YOUR HANDS
WASH YOUR HANDS
Your hands have so much oil and grease on them, and that doesnt do well with the spray stuff. So use the cool gloves. YAY!
dry the lights and get out the spray and start shakin.( I HATE THAT BALL NOISE)
SANDING & WET-SANDING
3. Grab your ^800^ sand paper and start to sand away at the unsmooth lettering and and little circles on the lenses. Once gone, bust out the ^1500^ sand paper and make it super smooth, (use a dab of water now and then). When done, wash and rinse and then let dry. The sand paper will make the lens kind of smoky and foggy thats alright, later this will not matter. Wash again and dry again.

SPRAYING THE CANS
4.Grab the Night Shades can and with your little mask on start to spray from a distance of 12-15 inches away, vertically in a left to right, right to left motion. The can says something about not exceeding 3-5 coats or something, but who cares right?
Keep on putting coates until the desired tint is attained. (wow big word) I waited 5 mins before each coat, but i recommend 10-15 mins like the can says.

ok maybe i went alittle overboard on these ones.
When done let it set and dry for like an hour, (I waited 30 mins.)
Then take out your other spray of Clear Coat and when the taillight is dry, do the samething as the tint. After a good hour all was done, then i took my ^1500^ sand paper and started to *LIGHTLY* sand the entire light to get that rough tecture off, http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif and man was it smooth after.

i didnt really want it to be really dark so i kept it a moderate tint.
RE-ASSEMBLY
5. The spray says let it set for 12 hours or something,...uhhh screw that, i waited an hour and it was as dry as it gets, so i took off the tape (with the gloves) OIL IS BAD.

I plugged the lights back in the order i took them out, and voila* it was magical.
Tested the lights and everything was perfect. Except the side blinkers which are a TAD to dark.

while i was changing the taillights i decided to look at my lights, and look what I found, A FU**ING BULB MISSING!!!

HAVE A
AND ADMIRE THE BEAUTY
ENJOY!!!

·
17,317 Posts
Re: TINTING TAILLIGHTS DIY (AUDIDUBBER01)

Decent. I think you're better off referring to the corrado forum's DIY on this one though.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Re: TINTING TAILLIGHTS DIY (robbyb413)

haha that bulb missing is because you are only supposed to have 1 rear fog on the left side http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
nice work though!

·
Registered
334 Posts

KOOL i AM FEELING THAT WAS LOOKING FOR SMOKED REAR LIGHTS MIGHT HAVE AGO MYSELF..
nICE WORK m8 http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
2,290 Posts

Sweet write up... but I would have smoked the tail lights a little more, and the side markers a little less... meet in the middle so they match up. But it looks good http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Get the black housing headlights!

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
Re: TINTING TAILLIGHTS DIY (xAUDIx)

i dont know why you would do any spray method for this when you can just do it with window tint and it will look 10x better and also be much more durable. the spray method usually looks super cheap at night when the lights are lit no matter how good a job you did, at least that is what i've seen.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Agreed use a tinting film it will look a million times better than paint, thats old school.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Re: (kranich317)

Quote, originally posted by kranich317 »
anybody know where the best place to get tint film for this project instead of the spray and directions to do it?

id say a tint shop could do it for you for pretty cheap

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
i could hardly tell you even tinted them to tell you the truth. maybe when there on the car they will look diff. My buddy has an s 4 withs some real nice self tinted tals. ill grab a photo tom. and post! But as long as your happy! im happy !

·
Registered
10,877 Posts

pics no workie...

·
Registered
253 Posts
Re: TINTING TAILLIGHTS DIY (1.8TRabbit)

Quote, originally posted by 1.8TRabbit »
pics no workie...

His post is almost 4 years old

·
Registered
10,877 Posts
Re: TINTING TAILLIGHTS DIY (A4 Effort)