VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am close to getting a 2003 1.8T and am favoring the tipronic over the manual 5-speed. Most owners and posts in this forum clearly favor the manual. This is not surprising given that most forum participants are car enthusiasts of some level and prefer the precision, feel, responsiveness, etc that a manual provides. I can appreciate that, but after driving a stick for almost twenty years (including on a great 68 beetle) I am inclined to put things in automatic and let my mind wander (esp. while in traffic). Anyway, I realize that the automatic will not have the zip the manual does, but is it still passable in the power department for someone who doesn't need an extra boost but who wants to be able to get from A to B without a real power outage? By the way, my own driving impression is that both the tip and manual are a little choppy getting into second gear, but once they are there and through, they motor quite nicely.
thanks, mariner (grey anthracite/black leather, soon--I hope)

·
Registered
6,792 Posts
Re: tip vs manual in 1.8t? (mariner)

If shifting is going to be a drag for you, then by all means get the tip.
quote:[HR][/HR]By the way, my own driving impression is that both the tip and manual are a little choppy getting into second gear, but once they are there and through, they motor quite nicely.[HR][/HR]​
If you check the gear ratios at http://www.vw.com/passat/usaspecs.htm, you'll understand why the car feels that way.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Re: tip vs manual in 1.8t? (VW Jetta GLS)

I find there is quite the difference...maybe less so in the 6cyl versions, but on the station wagon 4cyl the manual feels much faster. With 3400lbs the auto 4cyl variant has adequate power, but not as brisk as the manual. If you are looking at a sedan it may be better because of the smaller weight...in any case, if manual will be an issue than definitely go with auto. I drove a loaner BMW 325iT with steptronic today when my old BMW was being fixed. It felt much better than the Passat 4cyl in terms of acceleration and automatic transmission performance. But, compared to my manual transmission car the gap was smaller. In any case, not worth the extra $10k for a much smaller car.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts