VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you would like a good read on techniques, tips, troubleshooting, etc... for Dual Action Polishers, then check out this thread...
Dual Action Polisher Tips from Meguiar's Online
Don't let the title of the thread fool you. It doesn't only talk about using cutting pads with a Dual Action Polisher. The second page is really good for troubleshooting.
This is a good thread for use of these polishers...
Porter Cable (PC) 7424
Ultimate Detailing Machine (UDM)
Meguiar's G100
Meguiar's G110
Happy reading.

Modified by 67Customs at 3:52 PM 1-23-2009

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Re: Tips/Advice For Using A Dual Action Polisher (67Customs)

Thanks for the info. I am actually researching these to see which one I want to buy. To be honest I have been leaning towards the griots deal they have on the complete detail package. Its 299 and has the machine plus 2 polishes, 2 pads, wax, carry bag and also misc cleaning supplies for interior and exterior as well as microfiber cloths for in and out.
This is the kit I am talking about
http://www.griotsgarage.com/pr...it.do

Modified by menace1930 at 1:10 PM 1-23-2009

·
Registered
12,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Tips/Advice For Using A Dual Action Polisher (menace1930)

I don't know much about that Griots orbital, but I could probably put together a better order for $299 around the PC 7424.
The kit is probably good, but I think I could do better. I could try if you are up for it.

Modified by 67Customs at 9:22 PM 1-23-2009

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Re: Tips/Advice For Using A Dual Action Polisher

If you're going to work on harder paints like Audi and VW, make sure you get smaller pads if you're going with an orbital.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts

Quote, originally posted by menace1930 »
Thanks for the info. I am actually researching these to see which one I want to buy. To be honest I have been leaning towards the griots deal they have on the complete detail package. Its 299 and has the machine plus 2 polishes, 2 pads, wax, carry bag and also misc cleaning supplies for interior and exterior as well as microfiber cloths for in and out.
This is the kit I am talking about
http://www.griotsgarage.com/pr...it.do

Modified by menace1930 at 1:10 PM 1-23-2009

well you can buy a PC by itself for $100 so you can definitely put together a better kit for the remaining $200

·
Registered
2,193 Posts

Quote, originally posted by 67Customs »
I don't know much about that Griots orbital, but I could probably put together a better order for $299 around the PC 7424.
The kit is probably good, but I think I could do better. I could try if you are up for it.

Modified by 67Customs at 9:22 PM 1-23-2009

Sure if you could that would be very much appreciated! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
12,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: Tips/Advice For Using A Dual Action Polisher (SMOOTH)

Porter Cable 7424 - $129.99
3.5" Dual Action Backing Plate - $11.99
Lake Country 4" Spot Buff Pads
1 x Yellow - $9.99
2 x Orange - $9.99
2 x White - $9.99
1 x Green - $9.99
1 x Grey - $9.99
Optimum Compound II - $19.99
Optimum Polish II - $19.99
Menzerna PO85RD - $29.99
Duragloss #601 Polish Bonding Agent - $7.99
Duragloss #105 TPP (Sealant) - $10.99
Duragloss #951 AquaWax (Spray) - $7.99
Stoner's Invisible Glass - $5.99
That comes to $294.86 with no microfibers. However, you can go pick up a 24 count ProForce Microfiber pack for $10 at SAMS Club. They look like this. Grab the yellow or green ones if they have them.

They are really nice.
OR, if you sign up with Autogeek's Forum Member's VIP account, you get e-mails on specials that nobody else gets. Right now, you can get some nice COBA microfibers for dirt cheap through the rest of the week. Plus, you may be able to find some specials and/or codes to make your purchase cheaper. The prices I posted are just the ones on the site. Also, with it being more than $75, you will get free shipping. AND, they were price matching last time I checked. If they are still doing that and you find an item cheaper elsewhere, let them know and that will bring you bill down even more.
That's about as good as I can do.

For only about $5 more, you get a MUCH more versitile kit that can finish down better. You get a better sealant, a better spray wax and a better glass cleaner. Also, after some research, I find that that Griots 6" Random Orbital has a fixed backing plate which means that you can only use 6" or bigger pads. Random Orbitals like 6" or smaller pads and you can actually do better work with 4" pads (which is why I added them to the kit). I exclusively use 4" pads on my PC now. The PC can also take different backing plates which gives you a WAY larger pad selection. You are pretty limited with the Griots one.
And there you have it.
BTW, for those of you asking for a group buy, if you misunderstood me when I said "put together a kit" as "I sell kits", then that was my fault. I don't sell detailing items. I just know where to find them for the best prices (which is usually on Autogeek).

Modified by 67Customs at 12:00 PM 1-29-2009

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
So I have two VW's and i use the 6" pads with optium polish but still can never seem to get the car scratch free. Based on the posting i need to use a little more pressure and maybe tackle smaller sections at a time. Would a smaller pad help me fix this? I would rather use these pads for long time so any other advise is appreciated.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Re: (67Customs)

Yeah I thought you were selling the stuff.
Thanks for taking the time to put that list together, gives me a better idea of exactly what to look for. Now I'll do a little more research before I start asking useless questions

·
Registered
7,811 Posts
Re: (MO.SLIM)

Quote, originally posted by MO.SLIM »
Yeah I thought you were selling the stuff.
Thanks for taking the time to put that list together, gives me a better idea of exactly what to look for. Now I'll do a little more research before I start asking useless questions

I wonder if we could get a GB started in the forum........

·
Registered
1,571 Posts

WOW there's a lot of information (and probably misinformation) out there on the purchase of a DA polisher!
Meguiars is rather adament about not using cutting pads to remove swirls. Instead they push their product (shocking!). Question is, which is right? I know always to use the least amount of resistence possible when removing scratches/swirls but is the polish or the pad?
Also, has anyone had any success with 2006 or newer MK5's or B6 Passat's? I seemed to remember reading VW changed the painting method with these cars and the clear is a lot softer than previous generations. My Shadow blue Passat has a lot of small scratches and swirl marks. I'm about to pull the trigger on a new G110 to help but want to make sure I have the right items. So far, here is my shopping list:

1.) Meguiars G110
2.) 2 Meguiars Softouch Polishing pads and 1 Meguiars finishing pad. (comes with G110 @ autogeeks)
3.) M105 Ultra compound for the really bad scratches I have on my hood and other parts of my car.
4.) M205 Finishing Polish to smooth over the rest of the paint
5.) Klasse High Gloss Sealant
I also own a fresh bottle of NXT 2.0 (is the Klasse before or after the wax? or should I bother with the sealant?) I have a fresh Meguiars claybar set up as well.
Is there anything else I'm missing for my first DA orbital purchase? Any insight is GREATLY appreciated!!
Thanks!

·
Registered
12,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re: Tips/Advice For Using A Dual Action Polisher (FL PASSAT DRIVER)

Of course they push their products on their site.lol
While I don't completely agree with their suggestion on not using cutting pads on a DA ever, I do agree that more often than not you are going to get into more trouble with them than good. So, more caution is needed. I rarely. if ever use my LC Yellow Cutting pad on any paint, but sometimes it is needed and can be used on a DA.
I'm not sure what you are asking about on your resistance question.
I have had experience with the MKV's. GTI to be exact. The clear didn't seem quite as hard as the MKIVs (could be my imagination), but was still pretty dang hard.
Check with Meguiar's again, but last time I checked, they don't recommend M105 with a dual action polisher.
I would definitely use Klasse Sealant. I would skip out on the NXT 2.0 if you do get Klasse. They are both sealants and Klasse is much better.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts

Hey 67customs thanks for the advice above on those products from autogeek. I actually went ahead and purchased all of them to start me off. I also picked up the grit guard for my bucket and their carry bag. I have been thinking about this purchase for a while now but was afraid to pull the trigger and actually do it. Now all I need is some good microfiber towels.
I guess I have to get over my fear of screwing my paint up

·
Registered
2,604 Posts

Quote, originally posted by menace1930 »
Hey 67customs thanks for the advice above on those products from autogeek. I actually went ahead and purchased all of them to start me off. I also picked up the grit guard for my bucket and their carry bag. I have been thinking about this purchase for a while now but was afraid to pull the trigger and actually do it. Now all I need is some good microfiber towels.
I guess I have to get over my fear of screwing my paint up

Don't worry about it, its very difficult to cause any damage when you're using a DA

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.