VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Master negotiators, smooth talkers - please show me how it's done!
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Banned
8,251 Posts
Re: Tips on Negotiating Price on Used Car from Private seller (SurrealGTI)

u answerd ur own quetion

hehe...just be ver confident, if they feel u r "better" than them, they will be more likely to follow what U say.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Tips on Negotiating Price on Used Car from Private seller (ninja_van1sh)

hehe, you're right - confidence helps. but say the seller also knows as much about cars as me, any other tips?
btw, car is an 02' Maxima SE Blk/Blk leather, orig. owner, auto, bose/changer, navigation, pretty much fully loaded, 33K miles though but dealer serviced and supposedly mint. he's asking $19.5K. edmunds and kelley blue book appraise this car for about $18.5k but i would love to drop this down to $17K

if i really like the car, how much should i offer? or should i try to have him make me an offer 1st?
thanks guys!

Modified by SurrealGTI at 10:11 PM 6-29-2003

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Re: Tips on Negotiating Price on Used Car from Private seller (SurrealGTI)

Bring with u the following...
1. classified section of today's local newpaper and show the seller the asking price of used cars of the same model (for comparing).
2. printout of edmunds.com with price bringdowns (with options n' stuff) of the car's model/year you're looking at (your backup tool).
3. a friend or any person u trust (two brians are always better than one).
4. a checkbook and put it in ur shirt pocket and make it so the seller can see u with it (to show the seller that you're a serious buyer and motivate him/her to seal the deal with you) But NEVER give the seller a check unless he/she has the title in hand and signed the release of ownership.
Also, don't give the seller an impression that you like the car, and say something like "would've been perfect if... it is red... has leather seats... doesn't have a sunroof", something along those lines. Hope this helps

Modified by Gee Spoolin at 9:33 AM 6-30-2003

·
Registered
4,387 Posts
Re: Tips on Negotiating Price on Used Car from Private seller (Gee Spoolin)

It kinda depends if the seller wants to get rid of it quick, or if the seller can let it sit on the market to find the right buyer who falls inlove and will pay full price.
Just be nice with the guy and ask if his price is negotiable. If you low-ball him, he might feel disrespected and tell you to piss off.
$17k sounds like super great deal for the Maxima you described (mmm...navi).
If the the seller hasnt had many calls and want to dump it, I bet he will move on $17k http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
-Ash

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I like to think I've mostly got good deals in my car buying. If it's at all possible and safe, stacks of hundred dollar bills can be very enticing. Beyond that, print off several eBay and traderonline ads.
I remember when I first went looking for a Contour SVT, there were two local cars actually at the authorized SVT dealership here. The asking price for the one I wanted (black 1998.5, immaculate traded in on a 2000 SVT) was $17,800. We talked, I decided to go for it. Having done my homework, I asked how flexable the price was and the sales guy said something to the effect of 'We might be able to move a few hundred dollars on it.' Then I whipped out my handy dandy listing from traderonline from a dealership in Shaumburg, IL for a nearly identical (both black, both 28-29,000 miles) for $13,200 and without even batting an eyelash, he said, 'We can do that.'
Find out what the bottom going prices are just to keep informed... but keep in mind that a guy with an existing loan that's asking $19,000 for a car has more money in it than a used car lot, or even a dealership, that's asking $19,000 for it. Chances are, the guy just doesn't want to take a beating whereas the dealership it looking to do something to you that college guys use a drug for...

·
Registered
26,609 Posts
Re: Tips on Negotiating Price on Used Car from Private seller (cratz2)

Do your homework, first off: look at KBB's Private Party Value, which is usually lower than NADA retail.
Also look at/for comparable cars in the area--is this one more or less?
Does the car need anything? Small or big? (Service, tires, brake pads, clutch, paint/interior work?) I usually try to ballpark those items to the seller, if possible.
Tell the guy where you stand, and offer to get him a cashier's check tomorrow for $17k. If he says no way, ask him where he's at on the car; in this case given how new it is, he might not be able to go much below his listed price without going negative (owing more than he's selling for). If he's not budging right then and there, be willing to walk--but leave the offer open.
That's usually how I go about it.
On my last car, I knew it needed a fair bit of maintenance work that the owner didn't realize it needed (timing belt, etc), and there were a couple of cosmetic issues. I also made an emotional plea that I'd give it a good home, and walked away. 2 days later, he called and accepted my offer of $1900 less than listed price

·
Registered
11,163 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Gee Spoolin »
Bring with u the following...
1. classified section of today's local newpaper and show the seller the asking price of used cars of the same model (for comparing).
2. printout of edmunds.com with price bringdowns (with options n' stuff) of the car's model/year you're looking at (your backup tool).
3. a friend or any person u trust (two brians are always better than one).
4. a checkbook and put it in ur shirt pocket and make it so the seller can see u with it (to show the seller that you're a serious buyer and motivate him/her to seal the deal with you) But NEVER give the seller a check unless he/she has the title in hand and signed the release of ownership.
Also, don't give the seller an impression that you like the car, and say something like "would've been perfect if... it is red... has leather seats... doesn't have a sunroof", something along those lines. Hope this helps

Modified by Gee Spoolin at 9:33 AM 6-30-2003

Great advice http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Re: Tips on Negotiating Price on Used Car from Private seller (aliengti)

Something that has always induced me to sell too cheap is when somebody gives me an offer and their phone #. I constantly think about the hassle of selling it and all I have to do is call and it's sold and eventually I talk myself into calling them up and saying I'll take the offer.
Make your offer and leave your #, they'll call in a little while and say come and get it.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: Tips on Negotiating Price on Used Car from Private seller (A3Infidel)

Thanks so much guys! All great advice, especially like that phone # and walk trick if he doesn't budge on my final offer.
I haven't seen the car yet but I checked out a 00' SE no leather but 33k miles, sunroof, and it pretty good condition. Owner is a guy in his 50s who also has a 03' Maxima. Kinda like a Maxima freak. Anyway, was real nice but his asking price $16K was lil high and said it was only slightly negotiable due to the fact that he said he was just waiting for the 350Z convertible to come out and if it was out already, he would basically got 16K for it because of the tax savings of a trade-in. But funny thing is that he showed me torn off page of a NADA book bout Maximas and saw how the values seemed a little high on the 00' Maxima. Didn't point out to him, just thought of it on the way home and I think that the page he showed me was for like a 2001 or 2002 blue book and not this years, thus bringing the price up. Heh, neat trick to the unsuspecting buyer if this was the case...

But yeah, gonna check out the black on black beauty tomorrow and hopefully I could talk it down to less than 18
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif Thanks again guys!

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Re: Tips on Negotiating Price on Used Car from Private seller (A3Infidel)

Quote, originally posted by A3Infidel »
Something that has always induced me to sell too cheap is when somebody gives me an offer and their phone #. I constantly think about the hassle of selling it and all I have to do is call and it's sold and eventually I talk myself into calling them up and saying I'll take the offer.
Make your offer and leave your #, they'll call in a little while and say come and get it.

This is excellent advice. Let the seller know that you are very interested in the car at the price. If they don't show any motivation to work towards your price, say thanks for your time, here's my number if you change your mind. Leave with a positive ending and you've shown yourself to be a good buyer, at your price. That may be motivation enough to get them to sleep on your offer.

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
Re: Tips on Negotiating Price on Used Car from Private seller (cgj)

Wow...people getting together to show how cheap and tacky they are.
Posting advice on how to knock someone's price down on a car they worked their ass off to keep in good shape
Absof*ckinglutely Regoddamndiculous
- Joe

·
Banned
13,344 Posts
Re: Tips on Negotiating Price on Used Car from Private seller (Gumby17)

Quote, originally posted by Gumby17 »
Posting advice on how to knock someone's price down on a car they worked their ass off to keep in good shape
- Joe

What's tacky about negotiating a car's price? It's just a matter of course when buying a used car. Unless they say "firm," I believe people expect you to make an offer below their asking price. Plus, you aren't putting a gun to their head when you make someone an offer, they could always just tell you to take a hike if they don't like your offer.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts

- Joe

Would you be happy if we started a thread on how to rip somebody off on a used car sale? That should balance it out right?

·
Registered
3,592 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Gee Spoolin »

There is no risk in giving somebody a check at any time as long as it's clear that the check is for the purchase of the car.
It is done all the time in real estate with deposit checks & earnest money.

·
Registered
26,609 Posts

- Joe

So you've never negotiated the price on anything, then?
How nice it must be to have sufficient funds to be able to pay the inflated list price on everything you ever purchase.
Like you, I'm currently selling a car; two, in fact. I know *exactly* what they are worth, what I have put into them, and the $ value I will sell them for. I also know what is my 'drop-dead' price; i.e., the price at which I'll not go below.
I'm motivated to sell--and buyers should always ask a seller why they are selling, to help determine how motivated they are.
I expect a buyer to negotiate; if they don't choose to negotiate, it makes for an easier sale--but usually they aren't getting the best deal.
Nothing I said above is in the least bit dishonest or sleazy. In fact, I just helped a friend buy a car using this strategy, including the walk away, and the seller said at the end that he sold to us--at an offer $200 less than someone who had looked at it after us (we'd given him a deposit check)--because he liked the fact we were really honest and no-BS.
She's thrilled with the car, and got it for a great price.
What's wrong with this, in your mind?

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Re: Tips on Negotiating Price on Used Car from Private seller (SeattleGLI)

Just show up with a check for $17,000 already filled out and say, "you want to sell this car right now?", it works every time!

·
Registered
26,609 Posts
Re: Tips on Negotiating Price on Used Car from Private seller (TigerII)

I think the 3 most important points of a successful negotiation are:
-Research
-Honesty/directness
-Being able to walk away from the deal.
If you have an emotional investment of whatever kind, it's very likely you will not get as good of a deal. (Or worse, you might face a nightmare like the guy who bought the cut and shut E30 M3.)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts