VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put the summary first to make this a quick read…

If you have an automatic transmission car, when doing a TBA (block 060), don’t forget to do engine block 063, and transmission block 000.

Just wanted to post a bit of information, which does not seem to be discussed too much around here. I’m sure many are aware of the TBA (throttle body adaptation) which is performed with a ross-tech VAG-COM. For those of us with an automatic or tiptronic transmission, we should also be performing two additional adaptations. Block 063 in the engine, and block 000 in the automatic transmission also need to have basic settings initiated. After performing all of these adaptations together (particularly the transmission adaptation) I have noticed my car runs much smoother at part throttle. No longer is there a pronounced hesitation during downshifts, the car does less gear hunting/shifting, and overall drives much smoother. Without the adaptation, the car seems to either pick too tall of a gear, or if I give it more gas, it accelerates too quickly. I have had my car for over a year, and just finally realized how much an automatic transmission adaptation helps. So hopefully this benefits some of you, especially those of us who do not deal with this stuff full time.
Remember, a TBA and other adaptations should be performed after you clear codes (something I also did not know), among other things listed in the Bentley. The Bentley manual is vague in this respect.
One other note on the automatic transmission adaptation, you must go straight to basic settings in the vag-com software, and type in 000 there. There will be no indication of any activity also, while you are in basic settings, block 000 of the automatic transmission, unlike doing basic settings for 060 and 063 in the engine. Keep that in mind when you follow the procedures. Ross-tech has a nice page on doing the adaptations:
Engine Block 060:
http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/cars/vwmkIV.html
engine Block 063 / automatic transmission block 000
http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-c....html

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
Re: Tiptronic / Automatic smooth shifting (sjoback)

In the car manual you can find a proceedure for that, it states that you may simply turn the ignition on but dont start the engine and depress the gas pedal and hold it there for about 5 seconds, and that'll do it.

·
Registered
5,785 Posts

~Bumptronic~
Good info for those who haven't done this http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
5,409 Posts
Re: Tiptronic / Automatic smooth shifting (Jetta_1.8Tip)

Very good info. I've found that getting all the adaptations done everytime is even more important the more power you're putting down. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
6,328 Posts

Quote, originally posted by sjoback »
Without the adaptation, the car seems to either pick too tall of a gear, or if I give it more gas, it accelerates too quickly.

good info though.

·
Registered
182 Posts

Excellent info!
MY 99 B5 had a rough up-shift (1->2->3) during average acceleration 0-30mph, but would be fine (3>4>5) at higher speed. It would rev high for about 3 secs before finally catching. This happened after I disconnected the battery for a few hours to troubleshoot a 00588 airbag fault.
So, this morning I did 098 (TWB), 000 and 063 with VWTool, and now it's smooth again. In 098, VWTool would cut out from Basic Settings after ADP RUN then ADP OK comes back. Same with 000. But the adaptation took place based on the result.
Thanks!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Re: Tiptronic / Automatic smooth shifting (lolo)

Hey Guys, I have a 2002 Audi Avant with 1.8T Automatic with tip. It shifts at odd times like when it goes from 3rd to forth it shifts within one second. It started doing this about a year after we got it. From the sounds of this forum, it looks like it might be able to be fixed. Is this similar to what I am reading here? Not much of a Vag-com guy, but I know where there is one. Thanks.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Re: Tiptronic / Automatic smooth shifting (turbo_sleeper)

Real Good info! I have a 2002 Jetta 1.8T w/ Tippy. I had rough shifting and had a local shop do the adaptations a couple of weeks back. They did not do this particular procedure. The rough shifting went away but started to come back yesterday. They did this procedure today and the tranny shifts smooth again! How long do these adaptations last? Thanks again for the info!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Re: Tiptronic / Automatic smooth shifting (Julia)

ok, the smooth shifting after adaptation seems to be a temporary thing. its gotta be a software issue as evertime it is done things go well. anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Re: Tiptronic / Automatic smooth shifting (Julia)

Quote, originally posted by Julia »
ok, the smooth shifting after adaptation seems to be a temporary thing. its gotta be a software issue as evertime it is done things go well. anyone have any ideas?

Yep I agree, that happens to my 2002 too. Many early Tips have the same or similar issues that seem to go away but come right back.
Mine acts up more when it's cold, how about y'all?
I've never been happy with the Tip since brand new, tried 'everything'... I hope someone finds a 'real' fix, although if it's bad early software and no flashes are ever made available, I fear there may never be a good easy fix.
This may be going too far, but just in case it does fail, I watched the classifieds and bought the "next version" Tip from a 2004 rear-end wreck with 12,000 miles. It only cost me $600 including shipping, TCM computer, shift mechanism, and wiring harnes. Couldn't pass it up...
I tested the newer computer in my car but no luck. No error codes were thrown, but shifting was harsher at times so I took it out. But it will probably work with the correct trans just right. So if mine blows up I'm ready to find out what happens with the next version of the software and hardware.
Yeah it's going a bit far, but for $600 I believe I STOLE this trans...

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Re: Tiptronic / Automatic smooth shifting (SteveOoooo)

A possible fix!? Do you think they OVERFILLED our trannies at the FACTORY!!?? This sounds very similar to our symptoms, no?
Quoted from carlosabh:
It shifts smooth but sometimes when it changed from 2nd to 3rd it slipped than at about 4000rpm it just slammed into 3rd, every other gear worked as expected, when I overfilled the transmission, car felt like it was towing something, now with the correct level it feels lighter, smoother
I think this particular transmission is extremely sensitive to fluid level, my tiptronic tranny was experiencing slipping problems after I followed the recomendations here to fill 4 liters of tranny fluid , wrong!! because someone here said that it was ok to put 4lts in the change (DIY transmission fluid change info thread) last weekend I performed the level check with VAG COM exactly as indicated by VW and Voila no more slipping and now the transmission behaves as expected ( I drained about 0.8 liters with the procedure done at 40 degrees measured with VAGCOM) so I dont think that adding more fluid than the recommended is going to help you it is just going to make matters worse at least that is what I experienced.
End Quote
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3622557

·
Registered
21,158 Posts
Re: Tiptronic / Automatic smooth shifting (SteveOoooo)

Very interesting...man I need to get one of them VAG-COM tools...

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Re: (woteg)

I just scanned mine the other day and have a Transmission fluid temp sensor TDC. When i researched it, it stated it could also be cause for rough or abrupt shifting.

·
Registered
9 Posts
manual engine into automatic pasat?

I have a 2000 Passat 1.8 with a automatic tiptronic, two months ago, my engine died, so I bought a used engine at a business that sells used engines.... so I bought it and had it installed. when I drove the car off the garage, my transmission gears were all slipping and was not engaging........... to make this short, the transmission was wrecked. the garage did not want to take any responsibility. so I bought another transmission... went to different mechanic, had it installed, and when I drove the car, the gears were not engaging and the torch converter was burnt.. so I bought another tranny........... and went to different mechanic... this mechanic said that the crankshaft was too long and was not allowing the converter to sit properly. he machined the crankshaft a little just to allow the converter to sit...

at this point, my car in in limp mode, the tiptronic don't work............. tried everything and nothing .. had the car scanned.... had fault code P0716.......... so I replaced the speed sensor ... the one just below the oil filter, at crankshaft, and fixed that code. Now I just have a few P0300 .. and misfires.... but I have a few questions...............

1. I might have bought an engine that was in a manual transmission... how can I know for sure?
2. do I have to replace the crankshaft and install a crank from an automatic engine or can I use the same crank and just do some kind of adaptation?

the business that sold me the engine is willing to replace the engine at no cost as long as I can provide official documents that state that the crankshaft from the manual engine is not compatible with automatic transmission. where can I get such documents?n

thank you very much for your time

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
You should be able to get that info from the dealer. They did a print out for me when I had a problem with being flashed with a manual program on an automatic car.

Tell the dealer your situation and most likely they'll want to diagnose / scan your car first. Tell them in addition to what they find to specifically add to the print out they give you that the engine is for a manual car and the transmission is for an automatic and that because the cranks are different they will not properly mate together among other things, all in there words.

·
Registered
4,015 Posts
The crankshafts is different between manual and auto 1.8T's. Since he had to modify your crank I'll bet it was wrong.

Google 1.8T manual transmission conversion crankshaft and there is a conversion thread that shows how to make a auto crank work with a manual car. I realize this isn't what your doing but you can gain info on the differences in the crankshafts.

Here's one link.

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/299543-Biketsai-s-DIY-Auto-to-Manual-Conversion

here's another

http://www.passatworld.com/forums/4...anual-crank-engine-auto-car-grind-myself.html

1 - 19 of 19 Posts