VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, if you are looking to find a "I hate my Tip" or "My Crappy VW broke" or any other rant, you are not going to find it here. I just haven't heard of many problems with the Tip, and I wanted to share what I've experienced.
I drive a 2002 AWP 1.8T Tip, with no mods. I have never had problems with the tranny before. Last week, driving in a residential neighborhood...I slowed to stop at a stop sign. In the back of my mind, I noticed something was wrong, but ignored it and stepped on the gas.
What was wrong is that I didn't feel the Tip downshift when I came to a stop...when I stepped on the gas, the car bogged and barely responded. A quick look at the cluster...the CEL was on and all of the shift indicator positions were highlighted as if the tranny was in all gears at once. I clicked it over to manual shift, and it was in 4th. I was unable to shift up or down. Time for a tow to the dealership.

The dealership found 1 code in the TCM: 00266 - Solenoid Valve 5-N92 Open. They pulled the pan and replaced the solenoid. After that, they test drove it and said everything was in spec. I've had the car back for several days, and I tend to agree with them. Everything is back to normal. Which means smooth shifts and no problems. Anyone else have similar failures or repairs?

Modified by DubberNix at 9:20 PM 5-18-2004

·
Registered
5,785 Posts
Re: Tiptronic failure at 42k (DubberNix)

Glad it worked out OK and it was just one part it seems. It went into a safe mode to protect itself and that's good to hear. Counting yours there have only been about 4 failures reported on the Tex in the last 2 years (that I have seen, and I see all the Tip related stuff)
Overall it seems it is more reliable that the VW manual
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Tiptronic failure at 42k (Jetta_1.8Tip)

Quote, originally posted by Jetta_1.8Tip »
Glad it worked out OK and it was just one part it seems. It went into a safe mode to protect itself and that's good to hear. Counting yours there have only been about 4 failures reported on the Tex in the last 2 years (that I have seen, and I see all the Tip related stuff)
Overall it seems it is more reliable that the VW manual
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Yeah, I haven't seen many problems reported with the Tip...but if that's the case, then why did the dealership have that solenoid in stock?

·
Registered
5,785 Posts

It may have just been a coincedence or perhaps when they do fail it is the most typical part to give out.

·
Registered
950 Posts

do you have a Silver Jetta? ( edit: now that think about it, i cant remember what color it was that i repaired, tho i think it was Reflex Silver.) If so, i repaired your vehicle. Solenoid #5 is most prone to failure. The engineers up the ladder dont share much with us on "why" they fail. Its not a fun repair beleive me, im dreading the day when i have to do mine in my 03 jetta. Before the solenoids became avail, we were installing complete transmissions to repair this problem. So besides that solenoid, we see very few problems with the 5spd TipTronic cars. Its the 4spd AG4 trans thats prone to all sorts of problems if regular maintenance isnt kept up on it.
Anyhow, glad the car is running well.

Modified by 03Jetta1.8T at 7:25 PM 5-20-2004

·
Registered
5,785 Posts
Re: Tiptronic failure at 42k (03Jetta1.8T)

Do you feel that part could be improved upon in some way to reduce it's likeliness to fail? What do you think typically contributes to it's failure? Take a guess...
Do you usually see it on cars that are driven by more "agressive" drivers? Or is it just somewhat random?

·
Registered
950 Posts

Jetta_1.8Tip~~~~ Well, i dont really know, but if i had to guess, id say its a manufacturing problem. Its a simple solenoid with only 1 moving part, so its not a complicated component. It does however feel rather flimsy when you hold it. Its located at the top right section of the valve body. so that would be closest to the battery tray if you were looking at the pan. I dont think location has any effect on it since there are 3 other solenoids next to it to the left. its only got one wire to it and thats to activate it. I dunno.... seems like Bosch and the other large manufacturers of parts for VW have high failure rates of certain parts. I think its all related to the process when those parts are made. either an inferior material, or a poor design.
Who knows.. i do know this... its job security for me!

·
Registered
5,785 Posts

Ok, well... if you ever come up with a good reason why that seems to be the weak part we'd all prob like to know. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
1,370 Posts

Thanks for the heads-up on solenoid #5. If in fact this part is prone to failure, my guess as to why, is only from one year of ownership.
Guess # 1= The solenoid is used for a gear change that is switched more often than all others. My friend drives my car sometimes and she's an impulsive driver, either foot on the gas, or on the brake. Whenever she drives at highway speeds she down shifts (with accelerator) from 5-4 every ten seconds it seems.
Guess #2= the solenoid is simply defective and hope they solved the problem on my 2003 model

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote, originally posted by 03Jetta1.8T »
do you have a Silver Jetta? ( edit: now that think about it, i cant remember what color it was that i repaired, tho i think it was Reflex Silver.) If so, i repaired your vehicle. Solenoid #5 is most prone to failure. The engineers up the ladder dont share much with us on "why" they fail. Its not a fun repair beleive me, im dreading the day when i have to do mine in my 03 jetta. Before the solenoids became avail, we were installing complete transmissions to repair this problem. So besides that solenoid, we see very few problems with the 5spd TipTronic cars. Its the 4spd AG4 trans thats prone to all sorts of problems if regular maintenance isnt kept up on it.
Anyhow, glad the car is running well.

Modified by 03Jetta1.8T at 7:25 PM 5-20-2004

Nope. Mine is G.Blue, and it had my "road trip" bra on the front. I also had the tech fix a coolant light problem, replace my headunit, and order parts to fix my heated seat and seat frame problems. Whoever the tech was did a great job http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

I have heard bad things about that AG4.

·
Registered
950 Posts

Thanks man, it was me who repaired your vehicle. The bottom seat frame isnt in i dont think, and im not sure about the heat element either. They dont update us tech's when the parts get here but they do tell the service advisors. You should get a call when the parts get here so you can schedule a day to come in.
I remember your car well. I remember the front bra, i also have one (colgan custom). I remember your radio had a CD in it that you made. I remember the clunking noise you were concerned about when stopping. on a side note, that happens on all of them after awhile. The bottom frame houses a wheel in the front that the frame rolls on when you slide the seat forward and backward. This wheel gets a flat spot on it if the seat isnt moved alot from the same position. Only way to really fix it is to replace the entire seat frame. Ive lubed them before on customer pay jobs where it wasnt covered under warranty and it cushions the thunking abit and the customer is usually ok with the cheaper fix for now.
Anyhow, i hope the seat heater element fixes it. We wont be able to test the circuit untill it gets here and we can plug it in. The switches outputs are variable and can not be measured acuratly becuase of the element heating up to diff temps... well yours wasnt heating up so i cant condem the switch untill the element gets here.. anyhow enough rambling for now.
See your car in a week or so...
EDIT: your coolant bottle had sand it in from the block casting. ALL 1.8's have this to some degree. thats why it had the red warning lamp on when cold.

Modified by 03Jetta1.8T at 10:13 PM 5-25-2004

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Thanks for all the detailed info. Maybe next time I bring it in, I'll leave a 12pack for you in the front seat. Heineken?

Oh yah, and I was wondering if you remembered anything about the O2 sensor. I've never had a warning light on before the tranny went, so I was surprised to see that there was a fault code for the O2 sensor. I think the code said there was a failure on the front sensor, but it tested okay and you ended up replacing the rear sensor.

My mileage has been kinda screwy lately...as high as 26, as low as 18...but normally in the 22-23 range. Chevron 91 only.

Modified by DubberNix at 2:28 PM 5-26-2004

·
Registered
950 Posts

No Problem man. I get paid to do my favorite hobby. No need for the Beer, i appreciate the offer though! Im trying to get rid of my gut so the beer wont help!
I dont remember much about the O2 sensor fault you refer to. Ill have to look up the history when you come back in and read my story.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote, originally posted by 03Jetta1.8T »
No Problem man. I get paid to do my favorite hobby. No need for the Beer, i appreciate the offer though! Im trying to get rid of my gut so the beer wont help!
I dont remember much about the O2 sensor fault you refer to. Ill have to look up the history when you come back in and read my story.

Haha...maybe Aspen Edge or Sam Adams Light then?

·
Registered
60 Posts

Jetta being a tech i have a question for ya.
I just got a 99 passat 1.8T with tip. Ive had it for one day and today on the way home from the store it made a loud thunk and went into what my dad called "Limp Mode". Kinda sounds the same as this problem but moving over to tip didnt do anything with mine. I didnt have the guts to try anything till i got it home but when i turned off and back on all seemed ok. What could this have been and should i take it in? I have VW CPO on it so i should be covered.

·
Registered
5,785 Posts
Re: Tiptronic failure at 42k (MrKeeeler)

Yes, take it in... It went into limp mode to protect itself and there should be a code stored. It could and probably will reoccur.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Re: Tiptronic failure at 42k (MrKeeeler)

Yes, take it in. JettaTIP is correct, the trans is going into a fail safe mode and set a fault in the TCM. Could have been a million different things that caused it.
BTW, i hate removing Tiptronic trannies from passats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,414 Posts

Why do you hate the Passat tiptronic R&R? I have a 99 Passat tiptronic, it is the only automatic that I have never owned for any period of time.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts