VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
42,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe I'm the only one who has never figured this out before, but as I was doing some highway driving yesterday, I noticed that if I'm in tip mode and I press the gas pedal all the way down until the "clicking" point, it will downshift two gears from whatever gear I am currently in. It seemed to really help me use the power to maximum capacity when it would cut down to third gear as I was about to pass another motorist. Is this something that everyone knows about, and it has just taken me two plus years to figure it out, or does nobody really know about it? I just thought it was kinda cool. I'll resist the urge to make this into a poll.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Re: Tiptronic Transmission- Downshifting w/ Accelerator (BRM10984)

yeah, thats a cool little trick, but i would say downshifting with your foot off the gas will make your torque conveter a little happier in the end.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts

Are you talking about the 'kick-down' feature? I vaguely remember some threads on vortex discussing it.

·
Registered
42,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Tiptronic Transmission- Downshifting w/ Accelerator (mk4gti20v)

I suppose that sounds like a fitting name for it...

·
Registered
5,785 Posts

Yep, that's the "kick down switch"
It doesn't always drop it 2 gears though, depending on your speed and rpm it could drop it 3 or only 1.
It can be a nuisance when on the dyno or when trying to hold a gear while really romping on it. I have gotten used to it and never hit it now.
It's the same switch you would hit when performing a "throttle reset"

·
Registered
42,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: Tiptronic Transmission- Downshifting w/ Accelerator (Jetta_1.8Tip)

Gotcha. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
I was waiting for you to chime in- I know you know your stuff.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Re: Tiptronic Transmission- Downshifting w/ Accelerator (Jetta_1.8Tip)

Quote, originally posted by Jetta_1.8Tip »
Yep, that's the "kick down switch"
It doesn't always drop it 2 gears though, depending on your speed and rpm it could drop it 3 or only 1.
It can be a nuisance when on the dyno or when trying to hold a gear while really romping on it. I have gotten used to it and never hit it now.
It's the same switch you would hit when performing a "throttle reset"

http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
Re: Tiptronic Transmission- Downshifting w/ Accelerator (SpooledAWP)

ya, when u hit hte button down, its going into 'sport' mode, so basically it automatically downshift to the lowest gear possible and will from there on redline and change gears for u automatically at the redline, perfect for constance acceleration

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Re: Tiptronic Transmission- Downshifting w/ Accelerator (flashback)

this is how i do it
while driving
push in clutch
move shifter
tap accelerator + push in clutch
move shifter again
ohhhh yeah triptronic
sorry

·
Registered
569 Posts
Re: Tiptronic Transmission- Downshifting w/ Accelerator (flashback)

Quote, originally posted by flashback »
ya, when u hit hte button down, its going into 'sport' mode, so basically it automatically downshift to the lowest gear possible and will from there on redline and change gears for u automatically at the redline, perfect for constance acceleration

what do you mean hit the button down? also, when i am in tip mode, and when i shift, its always kinda jerky, how do i do it right so its smooth?

·
Registered
5,687 Posts
"also, when i am in tip mode, and when i shift, its always kinda jerky, how do i do it right so its smooth?"
lol.. learn to drive? then it wont be so jerky

·
Registered
569 Posts
thanks for the smart ass comment jusanothergti
for everyone else, should i let go the gas when i shift? if i dont, then its smooth...input please...

·
Registered
42,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Re: (HYFwangsta)

Quote, originally posted by HYFwangsta »
thanks for the smart ass comment jusanothergti
for everyone else, should i let go the gas when i shift? if i dont, then its smooth...input please...

Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. It depends on what kind of mood I'm in. It makes it seem more like a manual if you let off the gas while you shift, but it's also nice for it to be smooth sometimes.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Re: (BRM10984)

Quote, originally posted by BRM10984 »

Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. It depends on what kind of mood I'm in. It makes it seem more like a manual if you let off the gas while you shift, but it's also nice for it to be smooth sometimes.

is it bad for the car if i dont let it off? so is it normal for it to kinda jerk a little when you let off the gas while shifting?

·
Registered
42,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Re: (HYFwangsta)

Quote, originally posted by HYFwangsta »

is it bad for the car if i dont let it off? so is it normal for it to kinda jerk a little when you let off the gas while shifting?

I doubt it's bad for the car. If someone comes in and says that it is, I'll gladly stop doing it.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Re: (BRM10984)

according to the owner's manual, there is a "healthy" time frame... like 10 seconds or something, can't remember.
When I first accidentally discovered it, I really got a kick out of it.
Do they have that on all MK4s?
I know they have it in my 1.8T Jetta and my friend's 1.8T Passat.

·
Registered
5,785 Posts
I wouldn't worry about when you let up or if you let up at all as far as anything being bad for it. If you did it all the time and for long periods you will prob lower it's lifespan though but I wouldn't forsee any sudden failure. As far as what's going to give you better acceleration well that's more complicated. It's really a feel that you have to develop by just playing with it. There are too many different combinations of circumstances, torque, and desired results that effect when you should or shouldn't let off and when. I couldn't write directions if i tried.

Does everyone realize you can just leave it in Tip mode, floor it and not shift at all? It will always upshift for you although sometimes a bit late and/or early and usually out of the curve but for some this has shown the best 1/4 times.
Side note: On the street I find that if you just leave it in D and floor it from a start you will once in a while catch an early 3-4 shift what will zap your power. This can also happen in Tip mode when you rev 2nd out hard and shift into 3rd it will shift to 4th early by itself. It's only sometimes but it can kill a good run.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts