VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, i stopped by dunn tire and the guy there basically said there is no such thing as a good gripping all season 195/50R15 tire, keep in mind it snows here. Is this really true and should I go and search for some winter wheels and tires instead. I thought that would be more expensive (tires AND wheels I would have to find and buy). I found at the tire rack some Yokahama Avid T4 that seem to be rated pretty carn well and at a very afforable price (everything at Dunn Tire was mad expensive compared to this website).
What do you guys think? Oh yeah- cost effective solutions please.

·
Registered
25,955 Posts
Re: tire and wheel question (bpfoley)

a 195/50 would not be my ideal snow-going tire, all-season or not. Not only that, but if they salt the roads where you are, would you want your rare, stock GLI BBS's subjected to road salt all winter? I'd say find someone who is getting rid of a set of stock A2/A3 14" steelies, and get a set of winter/snow tires. I run different wheels here in winter simply because I don't want to subject my 15" wheels to potholes, gravel and the like.
If forced, I'd say Dunlop SP5000 might, and I emphasize might, be a decent all-season tire. I don't know of an all-season 195/50 that's going to be tremendous in the snow, though.

·
Banned
4,337 Posts
Re: tire and wheel question (bpfoley)

I was running 195/60 Firestone ss25's or something for last winter...I liked them a lot, but I would definately go the steelie winter route.

·
Registered
5,657 Posts
Re: tire and wheel question (SeattleGLI)

quote:[HR][/HR]
If forced, I'd say Dunlop SP5000 might, and I emphasize might, be a decent all-season tire. I don't know of an all-season 195/50 that's going to be tremendous in the snow, though.[HR][/HR]​
thats what I have, only in 205/50/15 form. I like 'em, they have really good grip in the rain, pretty good dry. I've only drove 'em on snow once or twice, but they felt pretty good there also.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts