VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my front drivers side tire started making a unbalanced sound when driving over 60 km/hr a few weeks back. do tires just unbalance themselves? the weight is still on the rims when they were first installed. could another cause be that the rim is damaged due to pot holes or something?
any advice or how i can quickly check to see what is causing this noise? (it's really irritating
).
thanks

· Registered
1,350 Posts
Re: tire balancing or rim damage (drew80a)

I don't think a bent rim would do that, if it were from a bent rim then you'd probably be able to visually notice it.
Its possible the weight was shifted if you've hit a large pothole, or you may also have water in the tires if you filled them after a rainy day.

· Registered
1,053 Posts
Re: tire balancing or rim damage (KMAKAZ_GTI)

How many km's since the balancing. Yes tires do go out of balance as they wear (they do not wear evenly, especially if you are running negative camber)
. Take the rim off the car and look for slight dents on the back of the rim. A rebalance will also show if the rim is slightly out of round (hit a pothole?)

· Registered
786 Posts
Re: tire balancing or rim damage (KMAKAZ_GTI)

I just had to get my tires rebalanced today. I had a high speed wobble at 120km/h.
The good thing about it though was that wheel and tire zone offer free lifetime balancing with a purchase of wheels so it was free. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: tire balancing or rim damage (wurstchen)

thanks a lot guys....
i think i'll take my rims off, check the inside of the rim tonight for any dents....i drive 50km each way from work and home on the 401 (pot hole heaven), i try to go around them, but there are just way to many).
if i can't find any dents on the rim and it seems perfectly round, i'll go and get a tire balancing. i have 120,000 km on the car, so maybe its time for a re-balancing.
thanks a lot.
's to everyone.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.