VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
1,122 Posts
Use the chart at the first link below and/or the calculator at the second link below to determine the new PSI based on your OEM specification and the specification of the new tires. Note that the higher PSI numbers are only shown on the 2nd chart, "Extra Load". I have a 2019 Golf R and the OEM specification is 39 PSI and the car came equipped with 235/35/19 tires with a rating of 91Y XL. That equates to 1,279 pounds for each tire based on the chart. For different tires with a different load rating, I'd simply try to match the load as closely as possible. They also say never go lower than OEM. I believe your 225/40/18 92H tires are also an XL (Extra Load) tire. If they were mounted on my car, the calculator indicated I would use 38 psi instead of 39 psi

From Calculator (based on my car):
OEM Size (235/35R19 XL) Load Capacity: 1276 lbs. @ 39 psi.​
New Size (225/40R18 XL) Load Capacity: 1281 lbs. @ 38 psi.​

Tire Specification Load (lbs) & Inflation (psi)

Tire Pressure Calculator

Reactions: jhorn

· Registered
4,250 Posts
Do they not put that chart in the owners manual anymore? I don't have access to a mk8 easily anymore so I can't just check myself haha.

In all of the generations I've owned there was always a chart that showed each wheel/tire package for each Golf variant and what the recommended tire pressure was for comfort load levels and standard/high load levels. The door sticker only ever shows the max load tire pressures.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts