VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i don't know if this has been discussed already, but what are the proper tire pressures we should be running. mine were 44 all the way around from the dealer and the gas cap says they should be 33/42. does anyone know for sure or have any opinions on what the best pressures are. thanks.
dave

[Modified by Vcom337, 7:16 PM 8-3-2002]

·
Registered
86 Posts
Re: tire pressures? (Vcom337)

Double check in your manual, but I think those pressures are if you're carrying more than 1800 lbs or something like that. The lower pressure posted on the fuel door is what I've been using, 30/28.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: tire pressures? (giphlag337)

its what winston337 said. 33/42 is the heavy load pressure, 30/28 is the regular pressure. i just wanted to know if anyone was experimenting and found a better pressure on their own, so far 36/36 is in the lead.

·
Registered
567 Posts

I keep 35psi all around "COLD". Note after I've been driving it jumps to 40+psi "HOT". I actually called Michelin with the (800) number that came with the car. They recomended following the taging on the Gas Lid. I found this PSI to be low however.

·
Registered
389 Posts

I'd strongly urge you to follow the recommended pressures found inside the fuel filler door. It couldn't be more obvious that VW is well aware of the fact that these wheels are susceptible to rim damage; there's a "Special Characteristics You Must Know About Your GTI 337" brochure that plainly repeats, over and over, how important it is to follow the recommended pressures: "these high performance tires also have a lower aspect ratio that aids performance and handling; however, in order to lessen the likelihood of tire, rim, or vehicle damage, you must regularly check the inflation pressure and maintain it at recommended levels." If that seems ambiguous to you, or if you think that makes proper pressure something that's open to interpretation, it then goes on to say "always maintain the inflation pressure of your tires according to the tire information placard affixed to the inside of the fuel filler door."
Exactly what part of that statement is unclear? Or do you think the VW engineers just dropped the ball on this one?

·
Banned
707 Posts
Re: tire pressures? (GTI*337)

quote:[HR][/HR]I actually called Michelin with the (800) number that came with the car. They recomended following the taging on the Gas Lid. I found this PSI to be low however.[HR][/HR]​
Quote from VW 337 brochure (yes, i have one):
Tire Pressure
"Because of the low aspect ratio of ultra high performace tires, it is critically impoortant to maintain inflation pressure at the level recommended by the manufacturer."

Can you feel that, huh!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re: tire pressures? (Broadway Limited)

thanks for your opinion and i agree that the volkswagen engineers definately know best when it comes to the perfect pressures for the 337. i am in no way trying to say that the stock tire pressure recommandations are wrong, i just think that we all have a right to change anything we would like to on our cars to make them better suit our needs and personal preferences. 30/28 just feels too soft for my tastes and apparently some other people on the vortex agree with me. believe me, i know it would be best to leave the pressures alone and i know what a big deal vw makes about them, but i'm just trying to have a little fun with my car.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts