VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the market for 4 new tires for my 98 Passat 1.8T. I called around and some people are telling me that S rated would be fine and others are telling me that H rated is what I need. I would like to avoid spending too much so S would be idea. Is there any extreme dis-advantage to getting S as opposed to H besides the obvious differences? I'm not in the market to get a high performance tire, just something that works. HELP!!!

·
Banned
6,488 Posts
Re: Tire Question (senior)

Using a low performance tire would make no sense on a Passat.
You need at minimum H rated, with a Z rated being better.
There is more to it than speed. The higher rated tire handle better, are better made and are safer.
Remember, your life and the lives of your loved ones depend on the quality of your tires.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Re: Tire Question (l5gcw0b)

go to tirerack. Purchase either the Bridgestone Potenza RE950 or, if you mean to drive in snow now and again the Dunlop SP Sport A2. Straightforward good all around all season tires. Be done with it.

[Modified by darisgin, 4:21 AM 2-5-2003]

·
Registered
4,361 Posts
Re: Tire Question (darisgin)

quote:[HR][/HR]go to tirerack. Purchase either the Bridgestone Potenza RE950 or, if you mean to drive in snow now and again the Dunlop SP Sport A2. Straightforward good all around all season tires. Be done with it.

[Modified by darisgin, 4:21 AM 2-5-2003][HR][/HR]​
I have been very happy with my Sumitomo's. Check their rating TireRack.

·
Registered
4,361 Posts
Re: Tire Question (rtenke)

quote:[HR][/HR]Don't scrimp when it comes to tires. Would you buy cheap brakes?[HR][/HR]​
The point is, that the $65 Sumitomo's are as good as $95 brand name tires. Check the ratings and user comment on the TireRack. It is a very useful tool to halp you make a decision.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.