VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to put new tires and rims on a 1982 Scirocco I'm slowly bringing back to life. I go tit running again last summer after knowing nothing about cars.(A little self pride)..
I just put on a new exhaust system new brakes and am currently working on the suspension.
I"ve been able to keep my wife off my back since I"ve done pretty much everything on the cheap.
What I want to know is I want to go low profile on the tires and wondering if I the lowered look is ok and I won't bottom out or I should get larger diameter rims. ? What is wheel/rim offset as well?
In addition and recommendations into spring and shocks are appreciated.
Thanks
Robert
PS Suggestions on color for a paint job are also welcome. I'm leaning towards BMW silver or Yellow with Euro racing stripe.
My goal is to drive it to the local VW get together in my are by the end of the year.
Thanks
Robert

·
Registered
11,729 Posts
Re: TIRE/RIM/Suspension Educate me please.... (bostonmacosx)

how low of a profile. 15in wheels on a rocco is all i would go. and dare i say it i really wouldn't lower a rocco much or...never mind no one cares what i think.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts

Quote, originally posted by bostonmacosx »
I just put on a new exhaust system new brakes and am currently working on the suspension.

Nice way to start.. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
What I want to know is I want to go low profile on the tires and wondering if I the lowered look is ok and I won't bottom out or I should get larger diameter rims.

I would say the majority of us have either 15" or 16" rims. The lighter...the better.
I am currently running 205/45/16 and it fills up the wheel well nicely (with no bottoming out) and performance is awesome.
What is wheel/rim offset as well?

I am running a 16" with an offset of 35et - no complaints

addition and recommendations into spring and shocks are appreciated.

With suspension, you get what you pay for. I have been using Bilstein Sport struts for almost 7 years now and I love them.

You could also go the coilover route.
-Jeff

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
i'm looking at getting 15"s or 16's also. just wondering if there's a big difference in ride quality between the 2. don't mind it stiff but most people seem to say 17's are too much for the mark 1 suspension, so i'm curious if 15's are the best choice for performance/handling or if 16's are the way to go. (16's definitely look better especially w/ 16v body kit but i hate to sacrifice performance for looks.)
interested in what you guys think.
and robert, get some bilstein sports (just make sure you get the sports if you plan to lower) and some springs. i wouldn't lower much more than an inch or 1.5 if you like your kidneys! i just bought a used set of bilstein sports and matched them to some ST speedtech springs ($90 from nopi.com) and it's pretty nice. springs could be stiffer but shocks are really nice. better than konis IMO at least as far as ride quality.
jsut get sports whether you go with koni or bilstein (i can't emphasize that enouigh--

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
lightweight 14's are the best for performance and handling, they're typically lighter than 15s.
You'll also notice it will be a lot more work to steer with 15s over 14s on a manual steerign rack car. When I went to 15's on my '82, it felt noticeably slower, but looked so much better I had to keep the 15s! My 15's are BBS RA's, -not known for their light weight.
I'm tempted to find some snowflakes or other lightweight 14s and sell my 15s.

·
Registered
4,237 Posts

There are more than a few schools of thought on the tire/wheel/suspension set up.
After researching coilovers it appears their best if your going to be autocrossing or racing because they can be stiff.
Koni yellow's seem to be a good trade off that have a good street ride opposed to coilovers and are adjustable (stiffer to softer) if you want to autocross on the weekend and need or want a tighter setup.
One of the reason the wheels need to be light is for the motor. It makes its power in the upper RPM range and a heavy wheel will make the car slower by not allowing it to spin the wheel up to get the RPMs up. Then there is stopping a heavier wheel. And also clearance if you start going over 16" and past 7" into the 8 or 9 inch widths. These cars being made in the mid 80's weren't designed with taller wheels in mind cause back then 16 inch wheels where huge considering the compact imports of the day came standard with 14's.
Another con is ride when you go to a 17" tire, to get clearance you need a low profile (40 or 35 series) tire and this can create a hard ride on it's own. these coupled with a low and or stiff suspension can cause a car to rattle itself apart.
Lotsa' good tires out there, Pirelli, Kuhmo and Yokohama to name a few. And lotsa' personal preferences too. Driving style and how long you want the tire to last can help narrow down what you want.
Don't forget strut braces and sway bars for improved handeling and consistant control.
More than a few people on this site have much better knowldge than I and alot more expierence. These were just a few things I've picked up on and put to use reading over the posts on this board.

Modified by Throttlepimp at 1:45 PM 4-21-2006

·
Registered
9,616 Posts
Re: TIRE/RIM/Suspension Educate me please.... (vw16v88)

nice graphic. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
a picture's worth 1K words.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Back on the coilover subject.......Which coilovers give you the best bang for your buck. Is H&R the way to go or is there something else out there.
And i have been having a hard time with Wheel size choices for my S1 but after what I have read on here i think I will be getting some snowflakes.

·
Registered
619 Posts

Wanted to bring this back from the archives.
Please forgive my ignorance but i dont know.
Im finally getting the suspension upgraded. I just bought some neuspeed sport springs and bilstein sports. These will be going on my
87 16v. Currently i have konig 14 in rims.
Will i have to buy low profile tires or can i just run the ones i have
on now? Wasnt sure if there would be a rubbing issue with what i have on now. thanks

·
Registered
619 Posts
Re: (-camber)

not enough info. My bad
14x6 ET 38 Have spacers in the back
I am assuming the tires are 185/65R14
although i am not positive without going out
and checking

·
Registered
619 Posts
Re: (-camber)

thanks for the info. I was hoping not to buy new tires as the ones i have only have about 6k miles on them. Dont really like them but
i dont have another 4 bills to buy some nice yokahamas or pirellis

1 - 13 of 13 Posts