VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know of a good place?
I need / want to get my tires rotated, anyone know of a good place that won't screw up my rims by putting the weights on the outside instead of the inside, like they are supposed to, when they balance the wheels. I have heard nightmares of people going to shops and telling them specifically not to put the weights on the outside and they do so anyways and **** up there rims.
I would take it vw but the last time i had a tire problem, ie when my valve stem went to fudge, they just took it to another place. I dont think the vw service depts have tire removal or repair tools. They aren't much, but if you don;t have them removing a tire or repairing a tire is impossible.
Otherwise I would do it myself, If i had a decent jack and jack stands.
BTW anyone know of a good jack and jack stands to get. I didnt ever need them for simple oil changes, on my suv.

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
Re: tire rotation, who won't screw up my rims? ({sic}GTI)

my uncle's shop in Mill Valley will do it right...Malugani Tire on Miller...tell them Anthony sent you...

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
Re: tire rotation, who won't screw up my rims? (K9jetta)

first of all....when you say rotation, what exactly do you mean? Becuase rotation has nothing to do with adding weights
If you are just rotating your tires, go to sears, and for $50 you can get a jack and a set of stands.
as for shops to do the job right...where are you located?

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: tire rotation, who won't screw up my rims? (Mike VR6)

every tire is different.. and even an ounce off this way or that way could cause uneven wear cause malfunction in the drivetrain and even cause a tire to go before its meant to.
I had some friends who worked in a tire shop and every tire rotation they did it was off after they switched on tire with another.. especially in front wheel or rear wheel drive vehicles the fronts and the back tires either have more or less weight on them.
I am not an expert thats why i want to take it somwhere good
while sears may sound good to you. i have had problems with them in the past. it took them almost a whole day to put new tires on a car, and it wasnt like there were alot of people getting new tires. they were just lazy or understaffed.
this weekend im gonna be in san jose / santa clara area..

·
Registered
5,121 Posts

oh no dont go to sears...i meant that in reference to where you can buy a jack and some stands
anyway...theres a place in Santa Clara that I took a set of wheels to be mounted and balanced at...its called Up & Down Truck Center. There address is :
1443 El Camino Real
Santa Clara, CA 95050
408-249-0050
I know its a truck place, but they will def. do your work. I had them mount and balance my 17" BBS wheels several months ago, and they did an excellent job, no scratches, and the wheels were perfectly balanced into triple digit speeds. Costed $60 flat. Another place that will def. do a good job is Wheel Techniques...I am not sure of the location, but it is in the south bay. Good luck man!

·
Registered
4,266 Posts

Do you want your tires rotated or do you want your tires balanced? There is a difference.
What Mike VR6 was saying was that if you want your tires rotated, just go to Sears and get a floor jack and jackstands and rotate them yourself. It's really easy.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts

Rotation is just moving the tires from the front to the back and the back to the front. You can do it yourself, and if you haven't ever picked up a lug wrench I recommend you do so you'll know how to put on your spare the next time you bust a flat and ur outta cellie range.
Balancing is when they put weights on your wheels, just call up any shop and be like "i have nice alloys, do you guys have the weights that tape to the inside of my wheels and won't mess them up?"

1 - 7 of 7 Posts